Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 47 with a history of Lymphoma in my 30's. I have been…

Customer Question
I am 47 with a...
I am 47 with a history of Lymphoma in my 30's. I have been having almost daily headaches for several months accompanied by memory loss (which I have never dealt with before), severe fatigue, anxiety, feelings of depression (which I have never had before) and my most recent blood tests reflected an a slightly elevated WBC, CRP count of 29.2 and very elevated platelets. My PCP was concerned about a pituitary tumor and requested an MRI that was basically unremarkable. Due to my cancer history, my PCP requested a PET Scan of the brain. That was conducted on Monday and the results were as follows:Asymmetrical focal activity involving right upper frontal lobe with maximum SUV reaching 12.1. Maximum SUV on the contralateral side reaching 9.2. No clear cut mass on Non-IV contrast enhanced CT portion of the exam at this level. Elsewhere, there is expected physiological biodistribution of radio tracer within brain structure impressions.IMPRESSION: Asymmetrical focal activity involving right front lobe suspicious for neoplasm.In addition to this information, I have a swollen supraclavicular lymph node in exactly the same spot as a swollen node that led to my initial Lymphoma diagnosis.I have a consult scheduled with a neurosurgeon in December, but would like to get another impression and any other recommendations.Thank you!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Do you know what kind of lymphoma it is that you have?

I had Stage IVB Hodgkins Lymphoma and was treated with the Stanford V chemo protocol and rads. I was told that it was very likely that I would experience a secondary cancer at some point.

The PET scan could light up for many reasons and it doesn't always mean it's a cancer. It's odd that the MRI didn't show anything. Usually what your doctor will request is a higher definition MRI to see if there is anything at all. We trust an MRI report a little more than a PET scan. So in your case it may not be anything at all. But you have had headaches so there must be a reason for that.

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on the rating button when ready.

Dr. Mo