Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

For the past two weeks I have been having seizures, I had an…

Customer Question
For the past two...

For the past two weeks I have been having seizures, I had an eeg done that showed nothing and pulled me off my epilictic meds after just a week of trying them. They stated I had non epiliptec seizures and simply needed to reduce stress. I have been in the hospital for three days completely stress free and resting and the seizures are continuing. They just want to set me up with a psychologist. Should I seek a second opinion?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

They had me on Keppra I was actually life flighted three nights ago because I has a series of 17 seizures without stopping. That's when they did the eeg said it was fine and pulled all my meds. I had only been on a low dose of keppra for about a week

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have crohnic complex migraines as well

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Every other day yes nausea I am on proponolol as a preventative and maxalt and phenergan as abortive

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/29/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

thank you for the question

seeing a psychiatrist can be a second opinion for you

do you have bad anxiety symptoms and stress?

there may be other medications other than keppra which could help you.

They don't want to try any other medications just send me to a psychiatrist. What is stressing me out is having seizures

these may not be seizures you are having.

they did an EEG which would have been able to see seizures

when you took keppra did you have these episodes?

I did have them while on the keppra but before that I was on topomax for the migraines and didn't have any of these episodes only when they stopped that did they start
I was only on a low dose of the keppra for a week before they called it a failure and they they much be non epileptic

it sounds like you would be better to go back on topomax.

But my doctors won't do that because they said the seizures are non epiliptic, do you think I should see a different neurologist

you can see a different neurologist

topomax is for migraines.

some people have bad migraines which can be associated with seizures.

you may need to prevent these migraines to prevent these episodes.

you believe if I get the migraines under control that will help reduce the seizures

if the topomax helped before, yes.

topomax is helpful to decrease migraine headaches

some migraines headaches can trigger seizures.

ask to go back on the topomax.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

The topomax did not decrease the migraines that's why they switched

but the topomax did help prevent these seizure episodes, correct?

it did
But they are saying the seizures are non epiliptic so they won't put me back on it

does the maxalt work better or not?

as an abortive the maxalt works fine. But you are not understanding my question, topomax is for migraines but it is also a seizure medication. It was not helping with the migraines so they took me off of it and the seizures started and they are stating the seizures are non epiliptic so they won't put me back on it because it didn't work for the migraines. Should I seek a second option could these seizures be epiliptic and I should be seeking treatment for them?

you should seek another opinion

you may benefit from another EEG scan

your testing so far don't seem to show epilepsy

but repeat EEG testing may show otherwise with another neurologist.

that is good the maxalt helps prevent migraines.

I hope you are not still having seizures. you may be one of those rare patients who needs both maxalt and topomax.

I am still having seizures, I had a cluster on Friday evening that would not stop so they gave me adavant and flighted me to a larger hospital but then stopped all antiseizure meds because the keppra didn't stop them

sounds like you may need topomax and maxalt both.

I saw my neurologist on Monday and he did not even wish to discuss the seizures he simply told me to get a second opinion. I am still having a two to three seizures a day. They gave me anti anxiety meds and clonazapam to sleep at night. I have done everything possible to reduce stress, but I honestly do not believe that is the cause as I am a stay at home mom in a small town and lead quite a stress free lifestyle. Are there things besides strew that can cause non-epileptic seizures?

some people can be more prone to seizures than others.

I am glad you are doing everything to reduce stress.

I am just supposed to accept having several seizures a day? I am exhausted and can't enjoy the things I used to.

no, you should ask your doctor to try both topomax and maxalt which could help prevent these seizures. and the headaches.

He refused to consider topomax so I guess it's time to find a different neurologist

yes, you need to see another neurologist.

Thank you

you are welcome

please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com