Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was told that i have right choroidal fissure cyst, 1.2 x…

Customer Question
I was told that...

I was told that i have right choroidal fissure cyst, 1.2 x 0.7 cm. i not sure what needs to happen next, could you explain?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

None of the above. I did get sick one day about 2 months ago. i had a fever and got sick after that it started

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Fever was just a day. No, respiratory problems. The doctor recommended that i take lipofllavoinds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am taking other medications. Vitamin D, Lovaza 100mg, Hydrochlrothiazde, lisinopril, aspirin, amlodipine, omeprazole, losartan, Gaviscon and Butrans opps forgot mt ENT gave me Prednisone

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/29/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have inquired about choroidal fissure cyst found in your brain scan, on the right side. As a neurologist I read and interpret brain scans very frequently and I am very familiar with the type of findings that was seen in your brain scan, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see the choroidal fissure cysts are the cysts that are found in what is called as the choroidal fissure – which is an area of the brain slightly toward the center, located "inside" of the temporal lobes of the brain. These cysts are considered as congenital cysts, means people are born with them.

These cysts are most often small in size, as in your case, and these are filled with fluid, and generally are seen incidentally on scanning of the brain, meaning people have them but would never know about them until they got a scan of their brain (so these are considered as incidental finding on most of the occasions).

Most likely this is never going to cause any harm, and also it generally remains of the same size throughout the life and most often produce no symptoms.

Although the choroidal fissure cyst does not cause symptoms or problems on most occasions, however very rarely they may cause seizures (but it is really rare).

Because these cysts are benign so surgery is almost never offered. Also these cysts are surgically in a tough location to access, so generally no surgery is attempted, and anyway surgery is not required as pointed above.

If this cyst is causing seizures then seizure medication are started to control the seizures. If cyst is not associated with seizures or any other symptoms then no treatment is required ever.

And this type of cyst in the brain is never fatal.

Once again I reassure you, please this is a benign type cyst and this is most likely going to remain of the same size throughout life and also most likely not going to cause any current or future health issues or complications in you, and also this type of cyst in the brain is never fatal in nature, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this further (Re: Brain scan showing a choroidal fissure cyst)? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)