drphophalia
drphophalia, Other
Experience:  Regularly deal with musculoskeletal neurology, spinal issues, bowel and bladder dysfunctions etc.
5625079

I had mri with scattered sub centimeter flair

Customer Question

I had mri with scattered sub centimeter flair hyperintensities in the subcortal white matter of the bifrontal lives, nonspecific finding. Th differential considerations are wide and include a demyelination processes, possibly ischemic in setting of hypertension as well as inflammatory infectious and vascutilitic etiologies- what does this mean
Category: Neurology
Expert:  drphophalia replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Cathi,

What are your symptoms for which MRI was ordered?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tingling and numbness from cheek to toes, headaches and pain in calves muscles

What are your present medications?

Apart from hypertension do you have any other medical issue like diabetes?

Any significant family history?

Do you smoke or use tobacco in any form?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have hypertension
I have hypothyroid and take synthroid and neurotic
I do not smoke
My father has heart disease
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Neurotin misspelled above

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had vertigo in the pasr

Few observations;

1) MRI is an highly sensitive medical imaging which catch even subtle changes in the brain. Many times these changes do not have clinical significance. The software detects slightest of the change from normal.

2) The ischemic changes are decrease in the blood supply. This is a normal part of aging and would be seen in almost 20% of your age group.

3) Medical imaging are inferred in the context of symptoms, signs, physical exam findings, history, lab investigations and other medical imaging. MRI findings alone may not be conclusive for diagnosis.

You may ask your doctor to get an MRA magnetic resonance arteriography) for the assessment of the arteries of the brain. But overall your changes do not indicate anything serious or significant.

You may get the blood work for autoimmune disorders if not done for your symptoms. Thyroid antibodies too may be done.

Is this helpful to you?

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl