Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have burning pain in my lower outer left thigh. It

Customer Question
I have burning pain...

I have burning pain in my lower outer left thigh. It radiates upwards at times. Doctors have ruled out any problems with my back. Traditional physical therapy netted no results. Started several years ago (at least 3) with numbness. Then in 2015 started having what I call "ziggers" - felt like electricity running through my leg. Doctor at first thought it might be meralgia paraesthetica (I was sitting most of the day at my work). I'm not overweight but I weighed more than I really wanted to. I've lost 17 lbs (not at 140 lbs - 5'6" tall) and started using a standing desk - so now I sit less than 25% of most days. Yet, the last few days the pain has been nonstop. Keeps me from falling asleep and then wakes me up in the middle of the night. I've tried repositioning myself to see if that would help - it doesn't. Hurts to walk and highly sensitive to touch. Frustrated! I just turned 61. Oh - and I already tried a nerve block. No relief at all!

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling and nothing seems to make it worse or better. There was a while where it actually seemed to disappear for short periods or just went back to being numb. But, it's been hurting for over a week now. Miserable. Hard to concentrate at work.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Factor V Leiden. Take Xeralto daily. Other than that, no medical issues at all.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/28/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I'm confused. First, I get a response that says you're working on the response and simultaneously you ask if I still need help. Is that what I paid $33 for?

Have you had an EMG?

Nothing.

How was meralgia paresthetica ruled out?

it seems like the accurate diagnosis

just click send to reply

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)