Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I just came from Yoga and I had the worst Yoga time ever.

Customer Question
Hello. I just came from...
Hello. I just came from Yoga and I had the worst Yoga time ever. Lying down flat on the floor caused a severe pressure in my head. I felt all the blood has been squeezed up from my neck up. This caused a massive headache as well. I felt I was out of breath just couldn't get enough air in. I don't normally suffer from any headaches or other circulatory problems that I know of. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/27/2017
Neurologist: DoctorAnil, MD with 30 years of experience replied 7 months ago
DoctorAnil
DoctorAnil, MD with 30 years of experience

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

In my opinion you should check your vitals like

Blood pressure,pulse rate,body temperature

Also if possible you should get your blood sugar levels should be checked as well.

To rule out dehydration as a cause of head ache.

To rule out hypoglycemia as a possible cause

To rule out hypotension(low blood pressure)

If symptoms are persistent you should visit Emergency Room.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Hello. I'm hydrate because I start my morning with hot lemon water. This out of breath thing started a few days ago. When I go to bed at night I find it there is not enough air to lay flat or either side. Today was the first time I felt this tremendous pressure. My heart rate is about 70bpm
One more thing I have been retaining water, for some time. No medical explanation has been given. I was told by my doctor that some people are like that. This having enough breath and head pressure is new.

??Hyperventilation syndrome

Hyperventilation is a condition in which you start to breathe very fast. Healthy breathing occurs with a healthy balance between breathing in oxygen and breathing out carbon dioxide. You upset this balance when you hyperventilate by exhaling more than you inhale. This causes a rapid reduction in carbon dioxide in the body.

Low carbon dioxide levels lead to narrowing of the blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. This reduction in blood supply to the brain leads to symptoms

People with HVS may feel that they cannot get enough air.

Fair enough. But I'm not hyperventilating. I was in meditative restorative yoga. So if anything I was more calm than anything. Feeling out of breath because I feel life being chocked out of me is something I never experienced. My concern would be can this be a sign to something more serious for which I should go in immediately. I don't have the luxury to let it happen as it may I'm a mom and need to be here for my child.

As such you can get your Chest X-Ray(P.A View) and EKG as a precautionary measure.