Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

About 2 weeks ago I believe I pinched a nerve in my neck.

Customer Question
About 2 weeks ago...

About 2 weeks ago I believe I pinched a nerve in my neck. Lots of numbness and tingling in arms then it moved to the legs. The numbness has gone away but still getting muscle spasms. What do I need to do to treat it?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling but icing and using heating pad seems to help. but it just seems to go away on it own then comes back

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a town rotator cuff

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/26/2017
Neurologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

A pinched nerve in the neck would not cause problems in the legs.

These symptoms are beyond a pinched nerve.

WE do not treat on line, nor is this likely to be a self help situation, as numbness needs investigation, exam, then a diagnosis in order to treat.

We answer questions only.

I take it your question is something like, what could this be?

What next?

What is your question for us exactly?

Have you had any exam?

What findings if so?

I have not had an exam. I wanted to give.my body a chance to heal before going to doctor. I very read to generally takes 4 to 6 weeks to recover. Compared to when it this first started I feel better but still have tingling. Also my hands go numb sometimes when I go to sleep.

Recover from what is the question.

You read about recovery from what condition?

If its not a pinched nerve I'm not sure what else.it could be. All the symptoms match a pinched nerve in the arms and legs. Your point though about pinched nerve in next would not affect legs seems to be very valid. Thing is I have no symptoms or pain in my back or neck. If you were me what would you do?

I would see a neurologist.

Infection of the spine can cause this.

But, there are many things that can cause such symptoms, here is a partial list.

Diabetes

B vitamin deficiencies

Heavy metal toxicity

Hidden infection or malignancy

Autoimmune diseases

Auitoimmune neuropathy

ALS and MS [brain diseases].

Metabolic problems such as thyroid disease.

In fact, you need a complete work up with these symptoms.

Internal medicine doctor or neurologist. Or, both in those order.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also: Hopefully this helps and I have earned a 5 rating from you today. [This has to be clicked on the rating scale on your page.] A 5 rating specifically allows me to have full credit and continue my accurate service as well as providing follow up to you as needed, and it costs you nothing more. Thanks