Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I write to you again, because I still have the paresthesia I

Dear Subbanna,I write to you...
Dear Subbanna,I write to you again, because I still have the paresthesia I told you about before (about a week ago) I'm very nervous because it is persistent. I can feel it all the time, but it is not a tingling sensation, it does not hurt, it's more like the skin is a little irritadet, but there is absolutely nothing to see. I've attached a picture of the area. Does it sound like ms, this pattern - when it is not severe.Kind regards
Kathrine
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The sensation is located around my fingers touch.
11/24/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hello, I am typing my answer now, I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

regards,

Dr Subbanna MD

Please see ms is expected to present with symptoms with certain characteristic features but you are not having such features that are typical for ms

For example, if the symptoms in question are sensory in nature then ms presents with prominent numbness, tingling sensation or loss of sensation, or prominent burning sensation etc, but the symptoms you have been having is a vague type of symptom, it is like a feeling of irritation but ms should present with clear cut numbness or tingling or loss of sensation or clear cut burning sensation etc

Also ms is expected to affect a large area of the body or limbs, what you are having is some sensory symptom corresponding to a small area, and this is unlikely how ms presents

Even a tiny ms lesion in the brain or spinal cord is expected to produce symptoms affecting a large area over the body or the limbs, for example whole limb or most of a limb is expected to be affected with ms, but in your case the symptom appears confined to a small area and this is not how ms presents

So even if you have been having this symptom persistently for about a week or so but this cannot be associated with ms, for the reasons mentioned above.

This is certainly not due to ms, and there is not even an iota of doubt in this regard.

regards,

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much again for your good explanation. It must be my subconscious mind triggering this kind of symptom then. I have an appointment with a psychologist next month, hopefully she will help me deal with all this health-anxiety.Best regards Kathrine

Welcome. Yes, this must be psychological, and this can never be due to ms. Seeing a psychologist is the most prudent thing to consider now since your symptoms are certainly not due to ms or any real illnesses, rather it is psychological in nature (subconscious, health-anxiety etc) - so therapy/counselling is the most appropriate treatment to consider now and it can help you immensely.

regards

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)