Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My mother had a stroke3weeks ago and she is still in

Hello my mother had a...
Hello my mother had a stroke3weeks ago and she is still in hospital.my question is what is her survival rating if coated on left side is 100 percent blocke? She has already had 2 surgeries on left corratid
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: She is experiencing frequent headaches
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Head aches appear to be often and severe. Also she seamed to lose color kind of pale faced.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She also has a issue where veins in heart are small
11/24/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im very sorry to hear about your mother's stroke. Can i ask why is she still in the hospital? is it because she is unable to move or has developed some kind of complications from the stroke? Also do you have a report of the Ct scan or MRI of the brain which was done, as that will allow me to give a more accurate assessment of her situation.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No I don’t have copy of ct or mri but I know family tells me she had3 strokes. Dr states Croatia is 100 percent blocked on left side and she has had surgery 2 times already. Also she did have paralyzing affects to right arm. Speech is a little off . You can tell she understands but can’t find words. Dr really are not to informative and she is still experiencing head aches and blurred vision should they do another mri?

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
From your expert opinion do you think she is at risk to suffer another stroke in near future?

Actually, having a blocked carotid artery on one side greatly increases the risk of developing repeated strokes over the course of the next few years. The carotid artery is the main blood supply to the brain and if one of them is blocked then half of the brain is not getting adequate blood supply and secondly the clots in the artery can break off anf travel to the brain causing another stroke. Now given your mother's clinical condition it sounds like that she has motor aphasia, which is a condition in which the patient can understand everything but can speak. Usually this occurs due to a lesion in the parietal lobe of the brain and the effects to the right arm also indicate that the stroke is in this region of the brain. The fact that she is conscious and does interact with you means that the stroke is not very large and that is a good sign. It is a good sign because physiotherapy and medications do have a chance opf working to restore the lost functionality.

But given her 100% blockage, unfortunately SHE is at risk of developing a repeat stroke at ANY time, it could be within a few weeks to months. a 100% blocked artery is very dangerous, medications can be used to reduce the risk but even then the risk of a stroke would be high. The important thing would be to manage the blockage with two anti platelet agents which will significantly reduce the risk but NOT eliminate it completely.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Could an artificial transplant be done on artery with a graph? Also are severe head aches normal? Last question doctor will excercise and lowering cholesterol help her status?

Lowering cholesterol will help definitely and mild exercise can also be helpful. Headaches can be a part of this problem and most patients do experience these especially if she is also hypertensive.

Secondly, YES a carotid artery graft can certainly be an option where previous surgeries have failed and the artery is still blocked as in your mothers case. The artery is usually bypassed in severe cases by inserting a new graft from another site. It depends on the general health of your mother and a vascular surgeon would be the best judge if she is a candidate for this complicated surgery or not. But it is certainly an option.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I got the best information possible: The only other question that I can think of is if she is released dec 1st do u thinks she would be capable of making a 3 hr ride in a car?

It depends on what her state is when she is released, if she is able to move around even a little bit, is conscious and has no breathing issues then she should be able to sustain a 3 hour car ride.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist