Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Is it safe to take 2 200 mg aggrenox along with 2 325 mg…

Is it safe to...

Is it safe to take 2 200 mg aggrenox along with 2 325 mg aspirin daily following a knee replacement?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No new swelling. Surgeon says 325 aspirin is protocol to prevent blood clots.Neurologist says 81 aspirin plus Aggrenox is enough. Patient has had strokes in the past.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had a knee replacement last year in Nov. Took 325aspirin Twice daily plus Plavix once daily. Healed fine. Had 2 strokes in March. No residual effects. Placedon Aggrenox as a result. Went off 7 days prior to latest surgery and have been off it since Nov 7th. Trying to get consensus on best approach to prevent post-op blood clots as well as protect from stroke.

Is neurologist still working on an answer. Seems that we have been waiting a long time.
11/24/2017
vakularen
vakularen, Other

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and i will help with your query.Aggrenox contains Dipyramidole 200 mgms in an extended release form and 25 mgms of Aspirin in an immediate release form.Since the Aggrenox already contains Aspirin and an antiplatelet drug in Dipyramidole ,it would be prudent to add a low dose 81mgms aspirin rather than 325 mgms aspirin(This may provoke bleeding especially in the cerebral vessels causing stroke).I would agree with your neurologist that a lower dose of additional aspirin is the best.

Is that enough protection to prevent blood clots from the knee replacement surgery?
Can you answer the question regarding blood clots after knee replacement on-line and skip the phone call?

Yes, the platelet inhibitor Dipyramidole and the aspirin will be sufficient to post -op blood clots.

Sorry,I cannot accept the phone call as my phone is not allowed to make international calls.

vakularen
vakularen, Other
Phone call session started
vakularen
vakularen
vakularen, Other