Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

On 11/7/17, my left knee gave out as I was running down the…

Customer Question
On 11/7/17, my left...

On 11/7/17, my left knee gave out as I was running down the steps and I plantar flexed my foot beyond it's norm. Went to walk-in after I still couldn't bear weight and was diagnosed with anterior tibial tendinosis. Was given a walking boot and crutches for balance. Had a f/u with physiatrist next day for previous knee pain (that had resolved.) She agreed with diagnosis and gave me instructions to wear boot for couple weeks, wean off week 3 ... wear at work (I am an ER nurse.) I was also given 6 days prednisone. My leg was doing well until 11/16/17. I started having increased knee pain which has worsened with my longer shifts at work. My knee is also very swollen now. My lower part of knee had ached a bit post accident, but the worst of the pain was closer to foot and i couldn't dorsiflex it. Now my foot is fine. Aches a little, but my knee tries to "pop out" going down stairs and sometimes out of blue. My knee remains swollen in spite of RICE. I do gentle stretching and exercises as my calf tends to tighten. Cannot stand on left heel due to pain in knee, nor tip toes. My next f/u appointment isn't til January. Should I try to get in sooner for my knee ... or will it improve as the tendon heals? No xrays were taken (doubt it would do much good if it's soft tissue damage.) I wonder too, could the patella have tracking difficulties due to the strained tendon ... making . I just don't want to see someone too early when it may subside on its. At the same time, I partially tore my achilles at the insertion point in the right foot 3 years ago ... and therapy, tenex etc have only helped a bit. It remains sensitive ... very painful when I work long shifts and the shoe touches it. I dont wany my left leg to become a permanant issue like my right achilles. I am 44, obese, been dieting and slowly losing weight to help my poor feet & legs, but it'll be awhile until I reach a healthy weight.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Swelling this week. Bending knee makes pain worse, real difficulty with walking sideways with it or steps.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hx "separated knee caps" since I was a teen. Always had to do PT exercises whenever I started new exercises or danced. That leg has been less flexible since I had a failed lumbar fusion in 2010 ... screw went through nerve affecting right leg ... so this leg is the leg I stood on as my right one would give out. Fell a lot in 2013 until had screw removed and new fusion. My pelvis is also tilted. Right leg is longer by 1/2 inch ... not sure that is important ... but the increased knee stiffness over the years since the fusion may be.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/22/2017
Neurologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Have you restarted the exercises that you have done in the past for the knee since your injury?