Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had some frequent headaches for a while now alongside…

Customer Question
I have had some...

I have had some frequent headaches for a while now alongside feeling off-balance but not necessarily being so.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

The headache tends to be there most of the time - particularly in the last few days. I do feel a little nauseous but am extremely anxious about it (plus have health anxiety) - and I have just started taking an anti-depressant again, one of the side effects being nausea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had investigations before, including a CT scan which was fine. I had a CFS diagnosis a number of years ago and following lots of investigations about 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with FMS. I have IBS, too, and also anxiety/depression - often made worse with physical symptoms but then it's difficult to know what's causing what.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Thank you. I do have some more details if you need them.

Age and gender?

Have you got checked blood pressure levels?

Do you work on computer for long hours?

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

I'm male and 43. I have low blood pressure - and this can cause light-headedness. I do work on computers and have just started taking Sertraline due to my low mood and anxiety.Yes - I am anxious, particularly in the last couple of months. I am confused if my anxiety/depression is causing the symptoms or the other way around. I do have health anxiety as well and have had CBT for this.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Well, such symptoms can occur due to few factors. These are-
-High blood pressure
-Sleep disturbances
-Also Anxiety, stress, depression, excess coffee, alcohol can cause it.
-Eye strain from excess usage of computer can cause headache.

Tension headache is the most common type of headache.It can be caused by tightened muscles in the back of the neck and scalp or in most cases the cause is unknown.
If this is tension headache, then they often respond well to massage therapy.

You should not work on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch.

You should laugh more or watch a comedy or read a funny book.

You should connect with friends and family, You can make plans to meet for dinner.

You can go for meditating, it would quiet your mind.

You can Limit your alcohol and caffeine consumption.

Please don't worry and don't think for you are sick person. You can follow healthy eating and lifestyle changes, it would be very useful.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

My headaches and dizziness are causing me most concern - would stress/anxiety cause me to have such effects? My thoughts are consuming me all the time at the moment.

Most likely stress/ anxiety issue is the cause.

It can due to any of these below possibilities-

-Low blood sugar level
-Change in blood pressure level
-Thyroid disorder
-Inner ear issue (the inner ear is responsible for balance ) like Ménière disease.
- Neurological conditions

To make a diagnose, you need to undergo few tests -
-Blood sugar test,
-Blood pressure monitoring,
-Thyroid function test,
-Complete blood count.
-Ear examination- ear should be checked for inner ear problem.
Sometimes dizziness can be due to problem related with heart rhythm or brain problem but usually less often.
A thorough clinical examination and tests have to be done for precise diagnosis.

I would recommend you to firstly consult internal medicine doctor, then probably ear nose and throat doctor for diagnosis. If required they may refer you to Neurologist for clinical evaluation.
For the time, you can take Tab. Dimenhydrinate(Dramamine) for dizziness.It is OTC drug.

As such you should be seen by your doctor, for checkup and further treatment.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor