Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

For about a week I've been having pain when walking. Pain is…

Customer Question
For about a week...

For about a week I've been having pain when walking . Pain is in right foot, toes 2-5 at the base of toes where toes meet the foot. No redness, warmth or swelling. No pain on ball of foot. No known injury.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Pain for 1-2 weeks right foot, toes 2-5 where toes meet foot, when walking. Every step hurts. No redness, swelling or warmth . No known injury.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Only thing MD treats me for is HTN.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about the new onset pain in the areas of the right foot you have mentioned above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see this type of pain you have been having in the at the base of the toes 2 to 5 where the toes meet the foot itself is not diagnostic for any particular single health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar type of symptom you have been having, and I will provide you below with a list of such conditions;

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause this type of pain;

Arthritis & bone spurs

Morton’s neuroma (thickening of a nerve at the bottom of the foot due to friction or irritation etc)

Certain nerve injuries in the foot like peripheral neuropathy or Tarsal tunnel syndrome

Unrecognized stress fractures of the bones in the foot

Pathologies of the bones in the foot

Bursitis (inflammation of the bursa in the foot)

Tendonitis (inflammation of the tendons in the foot)

Rarely pinched spinal nerves in the lower back/lower spine etc (and the pinched spinal nerves rarely occur without back pain too) etc

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for this new onset pain. In this regard please try to see a Dr in the clinic, preferably a neurologist, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too that may include some of the following;

MRI scan of the right foot

EMG/Nerve conduction study of the right foot – which is a nerve & muscle test

Possibly an MRI scan of the lower spine too

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following symptomatic treatments that can help you with getting relief from this type of pain, and also help with faster recovery;

Adequate rest to the foot

Avoiding excessive weight bearing

Avoiding strenuous physical activities involving the foot

Properly fitting shoes

Shoe/heel or foot supports (orthotics)/shoe inserts

Weight loss (if weight is an issue)

Stretching & massaging therapies

Ice pack/cold pack to the painful areas etc

Anti-inflammatory pain meds such as Aleve

Diclofenac skin patches to the painful areas

Lidoderm anesthetic skin patches to the painful areas

Nerve-pain pills like Pregabalin, Gabapentin, or Duloxetine

Ultrasound therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation)

Interferential therapy

Diathermy

ESWT (Extracoropreal Shock Wave Therapy)

Steroid (dexamethasone) iontophoresis

Local steroid shots etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities as mentioned earlier above, that can cause the type of new onset pain in the right foot you have been having.

2) A thorough examination in the clinic by a neurologist followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned above (MRI scan, EMG nerve & muscle test etc) can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptom and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the symptomatic treatments mentioned above and these can help in providing you relief from the annoying new onset pain you have been experiencing, and these treatments can help with faster recovery too

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health condition can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared, an early diagnosis gives the best chance for quick & complete recovery so please try to see a neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed above, for the best results.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, do you want to discuss this health situation related to the pain in the right foot further? Or do you have any other or additional health questions? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD