Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was just diagnosed with an aneurysm in the right kidney. I…

Customer Question
I was just diagnosed...

I was just diagnosed with an aneurysm in the right kidney. I am a weight lifter so should I quit lifting until fixed

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

I have migraine and have been quite foggy. I get a little dizzy lately

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily if i spend to much time at the computer and the nausea is periodic which i have meds to help with it

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am relatively healthy but have had several surgeries such as right and left ovary, uteris on a separate surgery, i do also have a history of ulcerative colotis

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about diagnosis of aneurysm of the artery in the kidney, and I see you have inquired about the issues with weight lifting. I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see there are no official weight lifting restrictions that are advised to patients with aneurysms in the kidney arteries.

If someone has aneurysms in the aorta (the largest artery of the body, which directly arises from the heart), especially its aneurysm in the thoracic region (chest region), and also if there are brain aneurysms then patients are advised to avoid weight lifting - as much as possible, especially the heavy lifting.

But as far as aneurysms in the kidney are concerned there are no such restrictions that are officially recommended

However please note an aneurysm occurs as a result of weakness in the wall of an artery. When there is weight lifting there can be pressure build up inside the artery and this excessive pressure can further weaken the wall of an artery. In the case of aneurysm there is already some weakness of the wall of the artery, so this excessive pressure may further worsen the integrity of the arterial wall

So if possible it is better to avoid weight lifting, especially heavy weight lifting until the aneurysm gets fixed.

Once again to your main question, please see there are no such official restrictions that are advised to patients with aneurysms in the kidney artery in comparison to such aneurysms in the aorta or brain aneurysms etc, however it is still better to avoid any heavy weight lifting - just as a precautionary measure and just to be on the safer side, for the reason mentioned above, until this gets fixed, and after that there should not be any restrictions on weight lifting.

Wishing you fully successful treatment to the aneurysm that you have mentioned above! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this further (Re: weight lifting concerns with the diagnosis of an aneurysm in the kidney artery)?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)