Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I am having dizziness and sweating on my neck and shakey. I

I am having dizziness and...
I am having dizziness and sweating on my neck and shakey
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: I felt dizzy some Sunday morning. This is Tuesday and for about 1 hour I have been feeling this way. Last year I had vertigo and I also am type 2 diabetic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I feel alittle nauseated
11/22/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of the new symptoms you have mentioned above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions, kindly answer to these below posted questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How old are you?

2) Are there any additional symptoms such as – chest pain, palpitations (self-awareness of heart beats), headaches, neck stiffness, fever, numbness or loss of sensation anywhere, facial droop, weakness of the arms or legs, gait difficulties, speech or swallowing difficulties, double vision, blurring of vision etc?

3) You have mentioned last year you had vertigo, this time is this light-headedness or fainting or woozy type feeling, or is there some vertigo (spinning type) component there too?

4) What was the vertigo last time attributed to? Was there any inner ear condition or any other health issues identified as a cause for the vertigo sensation last year?

5) Does the dizziness occur in any position, or does it more often occur when you are in an upright position such as standing etc?

6) What are your current treatments (including prescription medications or non-prescription/over the counter medications or herbal/supplements, or non-medication treatments etc)?

7) Is there any excessive stress recently, or any issues with anxiety disorder?

8) Are there any issues such as lack of sufficient sleep, dehydration, work overload, missing food etc?

9) Are there any already diagnosed medical health conditions such as high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes, low blood sugar, heart conditions, anemia, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

10) Did you have any chance to check your blood pressure recently and what was your most recent blood pressure?

Kindly reply,

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns you have mentioned above.

Best Regards!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I am 75 years old and see my internist every 3 months and do bloodwork every 3 months as well. I am in exceptionally good health for my age. I feel better today not weak or shakey and the dizziness seems to have subsided. No chest pains etc. I was watching to see if any of those symptoms appeared but none showed up. Perhaps I was having a touch of illness trying to take hold.

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. And I am sorry I could not reply earlier since I was away from the computer and just returned, and I am now posting my answer here;

Please see the types of symptoms you were having in the form of (dizziness, sweating, shakiness, nausea etc) must be something benign in nature, this is because you have mentioned you are not having these symptoms now anymore.

There are many things that can cause these types of symptoms, but anything serious in nature is unlikely since these symptoms have subsided already. Most likely this will not come back again, but unfortunately if these symptoms come back again then this needs to be evaluated and investigated further. Below I will try to discuss with you the possibilities and the management aspects for these new symptoms (in case they unfortunately recur).

First of all, please see these types of symptoms themselves are not diagnostic for any particular single health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar types of symptoms you were having, and I will provide you below with a list of such conditions;

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause the types of symptoms you were having;

Stress/anxiety conditions

Sleep deprivation

Excessive workload

Fatigue

Dehydration

Exposure to weather extremes

Blood pressure changes (low or high)

Orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension (low blood pressure specifically occurs in an upright position and not in other positions)

Anemia

Hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) – may be due to reduced food intake or due to other causes

Electrolyte disturbances/Mineral deficiencies

Vitamin deficiencies

Thyroid gland dysfunction

Cervicogenic dizziness (due to neck problems)

Inner ear conditions etc

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of new symptoms you were having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain these types of symptoms you had been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case.

As you see above there are several possibilities and if these symptoms unfortunately recur then this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these new symptoms. If these happen again please try to see your Dr in the clinic, and later if required a neurologist too, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too that may include some of the following;

MRI Scan of the brain

MRI Scan of the cervical spine (spine corresponding to the neck region)

MRA (MR Angiogram) of the arteries of the brain and neck region

Carotid Ultrasound of the arteries in the neck region

Echocardiogram of the heart

EKG/Holter monitor of the heart

Tilt Table Testing

Orthostatic hypotension clinical testing

Audiometric testing (pure tone, speech & impedance audiometries)

VNG (Video Nystagmography)

Blood tests such as the following ones;

Comprehensive metabolic panel (general medical & metabolic tests)

Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D (Vitamin deficiency tests)

TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid tests) etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Please see I am not telling all the above mentioned investigations are required or are applicable in your case. After a thorough examination in the clinic the Dr will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case.

The specific treatment will depend upon the precise diagnosis that is made after the above mentioned investigations, and in the meantime please consider the following symptomatic treatments, general measures or home remedies to help with preventing these new symptoms occurring again;

Avoiding dehydration by maintaining adequate fluid intake

Avoiding hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) by eating adequately & regularly

Avoiding undue stress as much as possible

Avoiding sleep deprivations

Avoiding prolonged standing

Avoiding fatigable conditions

Avoiding hot conditions, or extremes of weather

Avoiding intake of excessive alcoholic beverages etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned general measures are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various home treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available to prevent these symptoms recurring and you may try to use them as necessary.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities that can cause the type of new symptoms you were having - as mentioned earlier above

2) But since the symptoms have resolved already so it appears whatever that was causing these symptoms was something benign. However if unfortunately the symptoms recur then as mentioned above a thorough examination in the clinic by a Dr, if possible by a neurologist, followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned above can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the general measures, home remedies etc mentioned above – provided you feel these are applicable in your case, and these measures can help in preventing these new symptoms occurring again.

4) Also very importantly, please see this type of health situation can be diagnosed and successfully treated, if this unfortunately recurs then please try to see your clinic Dr, possibly also including a neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed above, for the best results.

But once again this appears something benign and most likely this is not going to occur again, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thank you for answering me. I appreciate your time and the information given.Carole Boersma

You are very welcome Carole! I am very glad to hear you found the above information helpful!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)