Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Lately I've had an episode of discomfort when I swallow. It…

Lately I've had an...

Lately I've had an episode of discomfort when I swallow. It feels

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Lately I've had discomfort when I swallow. It feels like something "catches" and causes brief mild discomfort but ends quickly once swallowing ends. It occurs at the area beneath my left mandible and medial to the bone, which I presume is in the oropharnyx. In conjunction with this, I feel a burning sensation at the same time that radiates lateral to the left side of my vertebral column, probably in the area of C4 or C5.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Only about 3-4 days. The dorsal process of one vertebra is also tender when I press on it. Don't know if this is of significance but this all occured Concurrently with an episode of diarrhea that lasted 3 days_ maybe just a coincidence?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

History of hypertension 140/90- Prostate surgery 12 years ago-Cellulitis iright calf 3 yrs ago- mild shingles episode 2 yrs ago

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you are having new symptoms as you have described above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

OK

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How old are you?

2) Are there any additional symptoms such as – fever, chills, headaches, neck stiffness, double vision, vertigo (spinning sensation) etc?

3) Do the symptoms seem to be improving, or stable, or worsening?

4) What are your current treatments (including prescription medications or non-prescription/over the counter medications or herbal/supplements, or non-medication treatments etc)?

5) Is there any excessive stress recently, or any issues with anxiety disorder?

6) Are there any issues such as lack of sufficient sleep, dehydration, work overload, missing food etc?

7) Is there any history of long term/heavy alcohol drinking or cigarette smoking?

8) Is there any history of thyroid diseases?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

70 yrs old- no other symptoms,as listed- symptoms improving,swallowing is better when I take smaller bites,swallowing w/ moderate amounts of fluid not as uncomfortable- only meds are lisinopril 10mg, crestor and 300 mg ibuprofen- no unusual stress or cause for anxiety-possible dehydration from 3 days of diarrhea and not eating normally due to difficulty swallowing- neg hx on alcohol/tobacco use-no hx of thyroid problems, but a grandaughter hypothyroidism and mother had a thyroidectomy

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Yes, I concur with you, the location of the throat discomfort is mainly corresponding to the oropharynx area

I see you are also feeling some burning sensation that radiates to the cervical spine region.

And in addition to these you are also having some tenderness in the spine area

I also see concurrently there was an episode of diarrhea too when these other symptoms have been occurring

First of all, whether the diarrhea symptom may be related to these other symptoms or not - please see there is a possibility all your symptoms are related to each other. For example if the diarrhea was due to some kind of infection, especially bacterial type of infection then it may have spread to the throat area/spine area too.

This is not common but rarely this can happen

Rarely even virus causing gastroenteritis too can spread to the throat area and affect the tissues there and cause these types of symptoms

Certain kinds of infections can also spread to the spine region and then also present as pain and discomfort in the throat area too

Infection or inflammation of the tonsils, or adenoids too can cause this. When you check the throat area if you see enlarged inflamed tonsils then it is a possibility, but if you do not see any issues with the tonsils then this is unlikely due to tonsil involvement. However the adenoids are located behind the tonsils and are not visible during direct inspection of the throat and this requires clinical examination. But if you had your tonsils and/or adenoids were already removed then these are unlikely the cause for your new symptoms.

Other possibilities include enlargement of lymph glands in the oropharynx area

And rarely thyroid gland issues too can present with throat related symptoms.

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of new symptoms you are having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain these types of symptoms you have been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case.

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these new onset symptoms. In this regard please try to see a Dr in the clinic, so that you can receive a thorough examination in the clinic including the examination of the throat & the spine regions, followed by certain relevant investigations too - that may include a throat region films (such as MRI scan or CAT scan), also focusing on the spine region where you are having the symptoms, certain specific blood tests, and any other tests as necessary and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

In the meantime please try the following measures;

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid intake, if required ORS (Oral rehydration solution)

Taking smaller bites, and swallowing with some fluid to make swallowing easier & less uncomfortable

Ibuprofen or Tylenol, or Aleve etc to help with pain

You may also try saline gargling, if there is any infection in the throat region this can help

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities that can cause the type of new symptoms you have been having - as mentioned earlier above

2) A thorough examination of the throat/spine region in the clinic followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned above can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime please try the general measures/home remedies to help with your swallowing related symptoms, as well as to improve the hydration

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health situation can be diagnosed and successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, please try to see a Dr asap and try to undergo a thorough clinical examination & investigations as discussed above, for the best results.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)