Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has just called me suspecting that her daughter,

My daughter has just...

My daughter has just called me suspecting that her daughter, 17 years, has epilepsy spartucus.. My daughter is frantic. I don't know what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

No, I don't think she has any of the problems you've mentioned. My grandddaughter was just recently hospitalsed at the Vancouver Children's Hospital by ambulance because of her having her 20-minute seizure, which might of been accentuated by her also having the flu.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

N0, there's nothing than I can think of

11/20/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your grand daughter.

she needs to see a neurology doctor and get more testing because of her seizure

she needs a brain EEG scan and a brain MRI scan with contrast.

she may need to take anti-seizure medications like keppra (Levetiracetam) to help her not have seizures if she has epilepsy

let me know if you have questions.

Thank you Dr David.
I believe my grand daughter was given a brain EEG and an MRI while in the hospital, but I haven't heard any results from those tests. Francesca had brain surgery in June 2014 for her epilepsy; unfortunately she had a stroke just after the surgery and was fully paralysed on her left side. After physio, she was okay again except for a weak left hand and some problems with her speech. She is taking a number of medications to control her seizures; these leave her very tired. Her doctor at the Vancouver Children's Hospital is Dr Mary Connelly, who is head of Neurology there, I believe. We did not see her when Francesca was in the hospital (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week) so perhaps she was away.I will talk to my daughter today and find out the names of the medications Franchan takes, and also if Dr Connelly is aware of these latest events. I think we will likely be following up with Dr Connelly asap.Thank you very much for your help, Dr David! It's so comforting and reassuring to know that you and your colleagues are there for us if we need!!Zsazsa Berggren
West Vancouver, BC

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD