Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 66And I have a left frontal meningioma about 1.5 cm. It…

Customer Question
.i am 66And I have...

.i am 66And I have a left frontal meningioma about 1.5 cm. It has only slightly grown in the last 5 years when it was discovered after a fall. My question is whether or not this could cause a deterioration in my handwriting. Since I have memory issues, I went through exhaustive testing but all came out fine BUT I still have memory problems. I don't even read anymore because my retention is so poor. I also experience tingling in my hand throughout the day. It is like a hand coming out of the middle of my body, like a phan***** *****d.. maybe left or right... I can't tell. My EEG was normal. My neurologist doesn't seem to be overly concerned. Might these be symptoms from the menigiomaa?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/20/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have this frontal meningioma

if it hasn't grown, most likely it is not affecting your handwriting

at your age of 66, just your aging process can affect your hand motor and nerve functions to affect your handwriting.

are you able to improve your diet and exercise some? these can often help improve the circulation to the brain and can help your brain work better.

My diet and exercising are in order. My follow up question would be whether or not you think the meningioma would also cause the memory loss or phantom tingling? And how large is too large to affect handwriting?

meningiomas which don't really change in size in the brain most likely is not causing these symptoms, of memory loss and phantom tingling.

the location of the meningioma, not necessarily the size is what matters

if you are right handed, masses close to the left motor strip in the left parietal lobe brain can affect your right hand.

you can ask your doctors if your meningioma is close to your left motor strip.

it is in the left parietal lobe and over the motor strip I was told which is why they didn't recommend surgery because of the risks. But I have wondered about these symptoms and if they would get worse. The writing is terribly worrisome. Would removing the tumor help or exacerbate the symptoms.

it depends on the location

if it is in the motor strip, then they can't do surgery

the meningoma could be causing your handwriting problems then.

Is it possible to scan my MRI report and send to you for review? I need a second opinion please.

yes, you can scan it into pdf format

or take a clear photo in jpg format

and upload here in the "Add file" link.

I'm sorry I've been out of touch. I was dealing with a hard headache... then Thanksgiving with family. Will try to get the MRI uploaded tomorrow and send it to you. Thx

you are welcome

let me know.

I definitely will. Again, thx

you are welcome.

Here is the written report of my latest MRI (see attached jpg file). Your interpretation in layman's terms as it reflects to my symptoms would be appreciated.

there is slight enlargement of your meningioma from 2015

this slight enlargement of your meningioma could be causing your memory issues, retention problems, possibly tinging in your hands

you should consult with a neurosurgeon and have them review your MRI scan images.

you may benefit from brain surgery to have this meningioma removed. you may notice improvements of your memory from it

let me know if you have questions.

How could you possibly read this report and respond in a matter of a few minutes since I sent it? Are you sure you are who you say you are?

I am at work now.

I am a cancer doctor at work.

I did read your brain MRI scan report.

you should see a neurosurgeon. have you seen one yet. I can't see the brain images to see if it is in a location which may be amendable for surgery or not.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com