Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I was in a car wreck 6 months ago. I had a cracked rib and s

cracked breast bone. Was in...
I was in a car wreck 6 months ago. I had a cracked rib and s cracked breast bone. Was in lot of pain. But the pain went away and now 6 months later I am having sharp pains in my right breast off and on .Not all the time could this be from the wreck.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It just started last night. And it comes and goes. Some time I belch and that help. Or I take tums.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am 74 years old and have diabetic and a afibthat has be under control for past 5 years.
11/20/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

is there anything else that makes the pain worse such as twisting or coughing?

how long does the pain last for when you have it?
how severe on a scale of 0-10 would you rate the pain?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It only last a few minutes and I guess about a 5 or 6. Coughing hurts.

ok, thank you for that additional information.

unlikely that the pain is from the car accident if it just started. you can irritate and aggravate rib cartilage and the muscles in the chest and ribs and that might be the cause.

you can try a heating pad for 10 to 15 minutes at a time and see if that helps over the next 24 to 48 hours.

If its not getting better, then I would recommend a follow up appointment with your doctor.

Does that help answer your questions?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
thank you.

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD