Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a s. I had a bad shoulder injury I the service in 1968…

Customer Question
I had a bad...

I had a bad shoulder injury I the service in 1968 sense the middle 70's tell now i have been having headaches if I use my left arm and shoulder. The Va claims it is arthritis, even though I have had the problem sense my late twenties till now. Will arthritis start sooner in a injured joint than a non injured one. They state my injury as arthritis and internal fixation with history of a ac separation of the left shoulder. when use my left arm and shoulder the pain will go to my left side of my neck an then up in to my head to a severe headache. The only relief is Imitrex . If I can catch it in time a imitrex tap will sometimes work, if not it takes a imitrex injection. I have been on imitrex sense the early 90's, Can arthritis start sooner in a injured joint?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

They are not daily, only when I over use my left arm like driving or sleeping wrong. Nausea, Yes if do not have my imitrex or wake up with a severe headache I get sick an it will last for long periods of time

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No The only injury has been my left shoulder. The pain in my left shoulder is constant around a 3-4 average then effects the left side of my neck. Which my family doctor states it was most likely injured in my severe shoulder injury and started showing up with age.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/19/2017
Neurologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, arthritis is more likely to develop in injured joints. Trauma to the joint is one of the most common causes of arthritis.

In individuals who are otherwise, prone to arthritis, any trauma will hasten the progression of arthritis and cause it to appear much sooner and more severe than individuals prone to arthritis but having no trauma to the joint. Arthritis is not an entirely clinical diagnosis and x rays and/or MRI is essential to make the diagnosis.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!