Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I am 42 year old male. When I was 17 years old in 1992, I

Hello I am 42 year...
Hello I am 42 year old male. When I was 17 years old in 1992, I was subjected to a loud noise at a night club and since then I had high frequency ringing in my ears. I had learned to cope with it since they told me there was no cure, and, i only heard it in silent places anyway. Also I made hearing tests at that time and two more times a few years apart after that and things were normal. But since about a year the ringing increased. Now I clearly hear it in silent places and even in with places with little noise I can still hear it and it started to bother me. As I write these I can definitely hear it for instance. It never stops. ever.
I always thought there was no cure but recently a doctor told me otherwise and now I also checked internet and I see something called r-tms therapy. Is this the cure and should I do it? What are your comments about it as far as side effects and is it very expensive? and how long do I need to do it?
11/19/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it should not be expensive

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26181507

is a medical article on it

Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Treatment for Chronic Tinnitus

Overall, 18 of 32 participants (56%) in the active rTMS group and 7 of 32 participants (22%) in the placebo rTMS group were responders to rTMS treatment

no side effects were reported

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Dr. David, Board Certified MD