Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a severe herniation in C6-7 about 2 months ago.

Hi. I had...

Hi. I had a severe herniation in C6-7 about 2 months ago. Conservatively treated. Pain has resolved, but have no improvement in muscle strength.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Is there any hope for improvement? Are there any benefits to isolated strength training to nerve regeneration? What are your thoughts on stem cell, HGH, and BPC-157 to improving regeneration?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Health male. 44 years old.

11/19/2017
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The best results would be from physical therapy which would entail;

Stretching exercises

Strengthening exercises

Exercises with weight.

Also electrical stimulation would help in muscles strength and nerve regeneration.

Hope this helps you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I know that regeneration occurs slow (1"/month).If C6 is ~8" from the tricep, does this mean it will take 8 months to heal?Should I have expected to see improvement by now?

Yes, this may take almost 6 months for complete recovery.

Many times it may be slightly faster.

In 2 months, if physical therapy has been very extensive; around 20% improvement would be seen.

Is this helpful to you?

It's helpful. I can wait 6 months. My biggest fears are permanent damage. I'm a semi-pro rockclimber.I suppose it's impossible to give a percent chance of full recovery?

It is based on incidence.

Almost all will get more than 95% previous strength or more.

This has got a good prognosis.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

drphophalia