Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I 'm a non-diabetic with neuropathy on both feet and have

I 'm a non-diabetic with...
I 'm a non-diabetic with neuropathy on both feet and have been suffering with sharp pain and pins and needles on both feet. I can't relax in a chair or sleep more than two hours at a time. I've been taking one 1mg of Ativan and one 4mg Tizanidine every eight hours just to keep sane. I have an appointment with my primary doctor on Tuesday but what can I do until? My neuropathy comes from chronic Lyme's Disease since 2006.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I had my feet problems for about 4 years with a Charcot ankle that adds four screws to hold the ankle together. These pain episodes started about two weeks ago and now are constant. If I walk a little bit outside they don't hurt but when I sit down in a chair they just flare up. For the last three days I wake up with pain and it just continues until maybe 4-5 am when I fall asleep in a chair. The doctor gave me a tube of "Voltaren" that doesn't really do anything. I've tried all the stuff at the pharmacy with no relief.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well, Oct 12 I had my left shoulder replacement. In 2016 I had both knees replaced and in the middle of that the left ankle fell apart. I have high blood pressure and have had 8 kidney stones in my life and have been very active in construction all my life.
11/19/2017
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You can take Ibuprofen (Motrin) or Tylenol additionally.

You can buy a small device called as TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) from any of the health stores or from Amazon for the pain relief.

For the local application; Capsaicin, an extract of chili peppers, when applied topically, has been demonstrated to relieve neuropathic pain by affecting sensory fibers, especially C-fibers in peripheral neuropathy. You should wear gloves when applying it.

Other supplements and alternative integrative therapy protocols are;

1) Evening primrose oil

2) Acetyl-l-carnitine

3) Alpha-lipoic acid

4) Benfotiamine (Milgamma), 100 mg, is a lipid-soluble vitamin B1 analogue

5) Vitamin E

The helpful herbs are;

1) Willow bark
2)
Devil's Claw
3)
Feverfew
4)
St. John's wort
5) Valerian
6)
Boswellia
7)
Curcumin
8) Ginger extract.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. I'll try some of those out!

You are very welcome.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other