Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have ischaemia, the result of breaking my neck in 1987.

The only treatment so far...
I have ischaemia, the result of breaking my neck in 1987. The only treatment so far has been for depression which I don't believe I have.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: 12 months. No tingling or numbness, constant headaches, stiff neck etc.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm 82, 2 unsuccessful knee replacements, migraine tendencies,,
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
this is destroying my life and I'm told"nothing can be done"
11/19/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have ischemia

ischemia means lack of blood flow to an area.

are you having lack of blood flow to your heart or to your brain?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
my brain,the left side of my head is where the interruption is. I feel something more than dishing out antidepressants should be available.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am wary of spending money on line - was recently scammed, so I'd rather not invest any more for the moment

you don't have to accept additional phone consult service fees.

this just an option if you want to talk by phone.

what antidepression medications have you tried?

how old are you?

are you thinking you have ischemia causing this interruption in your head? are you having pain there?

have you talked to your doctor about it?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'm 82 years old and have definitely been diagnosed with ischaemia. Had the x rays. Yes, I do have pain all the time,
My Doctor says "nothing can be done" In this day and age I find that hard to accept.Just about keeping up with my social life which I know is important, but it is exhausting.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
you asked me which antidepressants - I'd say all of them...

the best way to to check for ischemia in the brain is due to do an MRA or MR angiogram to check the blood flow in the brain.

have you had this type of MRI scan?

have you tried migraine medications like imitrex? or topamax or maxalt? or sumatriptan?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I've had MRI. None of those migraine medications you mention. Had immigran at one point.

you should talk to your doctors about trying migraine headache medications which could help your pain there

get a copy of your brain MRI scan report, I would be happy to review it with you.

do you live in a state where medical marijuana is legal? that could help you with your headaches.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
am in Qld.- not legal here as yet. I have a copy of my scan, the gap is on the left side of my brain, easy to see. I'm told the break of my neck in 1987 with the ageing of the discs in my neck has produced this result.

I see.

so you have been living with this pain and ischemia in your brain now for 30 years now?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
until recent years is seemed I was susceptible to migraines but this is so much worse and I feel someone must be able to do something about it with all the medical marvels taking place today.

you may benefit from migraine medications

you may be helped by nerve injury medications like neurontin or lyrica.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
does that mean that "nothing can be done" as I have been told by my GP.?

no, you should talk to your GP doctor about those medications.

you can also try acupuncture which could help decrease pain.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
sorry, I mean on a curative basis, or at lease to abate the problem.

these medications could help decrease the pain.

without looking at your MRI scan, I'm not sure what the right cure is.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Have had some acupuncture ,painful but unproductive.

I see.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
thank you so much for your response, I will get the tablets you mentioned. Now I wish I'd spoken to you - but must admit I have trouble hearing on my phone!

thanks for the positive feedback.

You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD