Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was recently at the chiropractor and had an abnormal EMG…

Customer Question
I was recently at...

I was recently at the chiropractor and had an abnormal EMG result. In my lower back I had a spot where the nerve was functioning normally on one side, but significantly overworked on the other. I did have a berse fracture in 1996 in my lower back, is the abnormal result most likely the result of that and some overcompensating in the way I walk over the years. I also had a mild stroke in my brainstem back in June of this year. Having been through that I am just terribly worried that it might be an indicator of a blood clot. I go in later next week to further discuss the scans. I would just feel better for the weekend knowing that there root cause of this abnormal scan is most likely nothing serious that normal chiropractic care could help.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I would say, in general, OK.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think I have disclosed everything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
I am now unsure if the test I had was an EMG, my test had what looked like a bar graph going down my spine. If someone could please answer and give me some reassurance that results are normal. Again I have been through a lot and just need some peace.
11/18/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

By chance, do you have a copy of the report or a picture of the scan? It's not necessary but it would be nice to have during our discussion.

No I don't, my apologies.

No need to apologize! It's perfectly fine.

I would like to ask you about your lower extremities. Since you have been at the chiropractor, have you noticed any swelling in one leg or another or extreme weakness in one extremity compared to the other perhaps?

I really would just like a simple, hopefully, reassurance that normal chiropractic care should help and that I am not facing anything serious.

Based on what you have said I see nothing serious at all here to worry about.

I am very comfortable reassuring you and telling you to continue with the chiropractic care.

What you saw on the EMG is a muscle that was firing in excess possibly due to a spasm and nothing else serious and not a blood clot.

No both extremities are equal and strength was deemed to be good.

Again, nothing at all to worry about. I'm very confident that this is been nothing more than some local irritation of the muscle which the chiropractor help you with.

Thank you very much, that helps put my mind at ease!

I'm glad I was able to address this with you.

I hope I gave you a 5-star service.

Please let me know if I can expand on any of the information I have provided.

I hope I have provided you with a 5-star service.

Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on the rating button when ready.

Dr. Mo