Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has been diagnosed with Neuropathy and is having…

Customer Question
My mother has been...

My mother has been diagnosed with Neuropathy and is having severe pain in the back of her neck running put to the top of her head. She is weak and can't eat or sleep from the pain. The Dr. Prescribed her Topiramate 50mg and she isn't getting any relief. Any suggestion on where to go from here?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Headache is constant and she has no nausea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has Trigemenal Neurolgia and she had cataract surgery and that is when this all began.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 7 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

First-line treatments for neuropathy are;

1) tricyclic antidepressants,

2) gabapentin

3 pregabalin, and

4) topical lidocaine 5% patch.

Second line treatment:

Opioids,

tramadol,

capsaicin cream, and

capsaicin 8% patch.

Therapies that have demonstrated effectiveness for other types of neuropathic pain;

serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors,

carbamazepine and valproic acid, and

botulinum toxin.

Invasive procedures such as sympathetic blockade, intrathecal steroids, and implantable spinal cord stimulators also are good for neuropathy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl