Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had neck surgery and 2 back surgeries My last surgery…

Customer Question
This is Pat...

This is Pat I have had neck surgery and 2 back surgeries My last surgery (mid back) left me with pain in my right leg from my toes up into my groin radiating in to my left butt. When they opened me up for the mid section of my back they said the sheeting around the nerves in my spinal column had exploded Took them 4 1/2 hours to clean it up before doing the surgery to clean out the disc and place the rods and screws. Having this pain since. Surgeron said it was my hip Went to family Dr. had xray of hip and had the shot which did nothing. Took some physical therapy and that made it worse. Pain getting worse Leg feeling num Using a Walker to relive pain when walking. Surgeron has not called me back since I left 2 messages (Wed & Fri) Who would you suggest I call at this point. Thank you Pat Travitz of Hershey PA

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

What do you mean?

Doctor's Assistant: What confuses you?

Personal Do you mean Daily records as to what is occurring

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Oh yes As I will be 80 in Jan. I have a very long and exhaused record

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/17/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Pat, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about the severe and worsening pain and numbness as you have described above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) It sounded you had total 3 spine surgeries, one neck, one mid back, and what was the third surgery for, was it for lower spine (lumbar spine), or some other spine surgery? And when was this surgery done?

2) Have you so far seen a neurologist? If yes, when was the last appointment? And have you had an MRI scan of the lower spine (lumbar spine) done recently? And have you had any nerve and muscle test of the legs done (electrical shocks and needle in to the muscles)?

3) Have you so far seen a pain specialist? If yes, when was the last appointment?

4) What are your current treatments (including prescription medications or non-prescription/over the counter medications or herbal/supplements, or non-medication treatments etc)? And before your current treatments have you had tried any other treatments?

Please try to mention all those treatments you might have already tried (in addition to the shots to the hip, physical therapy etc that you have already mentioned above) - so that I do not recommend those same treatments that you have already tried. If you could give me the list of all the treatments that you have already tried it will help me to recommend something new that you have not already tried

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Third surgery was mid-back Surgery was Jan14 2016 Have not seen a neuroglist No MRI No test on muscle No paid specialist Tired all pain meds nothing helps Had shot in hip area then physical therapy No help from shot and PT made it worse

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

Thank you for your interest. I will see a local Doctor Bye

You are very welcome! Okay I see. It is fine, as you wish. I can understand.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery!

All the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)