Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve had pain numbness and pins and needles in my left arm…

I’ve had pain numbness...

I’ve had pain numbness and pins and needles in my left arm for a few months now I think it’s carpal tunnel As I’ve had it before in my right hand which wAs operated on. Last night I had my elbow on the bed for a few minutes whilst I was on the phone when I came to straighten it I couldn’t and the pain in my arm especially my bicep was excruciating this lasted about 45 seconds. This morning my whole arm is still tender.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Straighten my arm makes it worse and I’ve just noticed a very slight bruise. There is a little swelling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have high bp which I take atenolol 50mgs daily

11/17/2017
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Did you have any trauma to the affected arm?

No as far as I’m aware. Prior to the numbness and pins and needles the arm was waking me in the night due to pain and not being able to stretch it out.

Thank you very much for the information.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is due to entrapment/compression of median nerve at wrist; hence the symptoms are in the hands mainly and rarely the feeling of tingling/numbness can go upwards through the arm towards shoulder.

I can not say this for sure but this doesn't precisely sound like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, as you have pain over whole of the arm (mainly biceps) and the movements through biceps are painful. This can be due to nerve involvement at a level higher up like brachial neuritis.

Other causes like muscle spasm, inflammation of the muscle (myositis) or infection of the muscle may also be responsible for this.

You clearly need a clinical examination in terms of neurological assessment; and your doctor may need to proceed further with nerve conduction studies to chalk out the exact diagnosis, and hence subsequent management plan.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor