Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I started having pain in my right knee all of a sudden last…

Hello, I started having...

Hello, I started having pain in my right knee all of a sudden last night. I thought it was related to arthritis, but today I have thi aching inside my knee, but the pain I get up my leg is extremely painful and very sharp pain. I do not recall anything that occur yesterday to case this pain. Then kyou

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Lying down on the leg that is in pain seems to make it feel a bit better. There is a bit of swelling on the knee.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a heart attack 13 years ago ( I have a stent and I take aspirin every day) I just came out of a severe depression last year and I have arthritis. So I do take a lot of medication. Also got the flu shot on Yuesday evening.

11/17/2017
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Was there any unaccustomed activity in last 3 days?

Apart from swelling, is there tenderness, pain even on rest and pain on folding legs when sitting?

I am female, 58 years old, overweight. There is tenderness and pain on the side of the leg and top of the leg, pain on upper side of the leg when folding. Aching in the knee. Did not do any unaccustomed activity in last 3 days.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Knee osteoarthritis which is an age related degenerative arthritis.

2) Accompanied muscle strain and ligament sprain.

Apart from the analgesic; following would help you;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Mild massage.

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joint. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joint.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following herbs are suppose to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight for long term help.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

drphophalia