Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I went to my doctor about 3 weeks ago because I was having…

Customer Question
Hi, I went to...

Hi, I went to my doctor about 3 weeks ago because I was having some pain in my left armpit. He felt around and said that I strained a tendon. I don't have a lump, but when I look at my armpits with my arms up, the left one looks swollen. I have felt my armpit and don't feel a lump I feel what I can only describe as a "line." Can you give me any insight into this?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries, but I was doing a pretty intense kickboxing class before this happened.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just suffer from anxiety pretty much. All blood work has been normal.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/16/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Are you right-handed or left-handed?

Can you describe this line that you feel? How wide? How long? Which direction?

I'm right hand handed. The "line" is very slim. Feels like maybe it's a tendon. It goes up-down I would say.

So it goes in the direction of the arm (longitudinally)? Tendons are firm, rope-like. A blood vessel would be soft, compressible.

It actually does feel very ropelike.
it goes in the direction of my arm.

Is that where the swelling is?

This is most likely a tendinitis related to activities you are doing such as the kickboxing or weightlifting, pull-ups, push-ups, etc. Repetitive microtrauma to a structure such as a tendon (that attaches muscle to bone) will, over time cause inflammation to settle in, which you will begin to feel once it reaches your pain threshold. This is very common in active, healthy individuals. The treatment is rest, ice several times daily, and anti-inflammatories until the swelling subsides.

Thank you. Right away my mind goes to the worst senario. Thanks so much for the feedback.

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Best wishes going forward.