Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm certain I broke the big toe on my left foot. The first…

Customer Question
I'm certain I broke...

I'm certain I broke the big toe on my left foot. The first toe and the next three are very bruised top and bottom of foot plus they are swollen. Should I go to the ER, or just let it heal on it's own? I been told there really is nothing that can be done. Your recommendation please. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries and this just happened yesterday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have osteoporosis. Just learned that two years ago and have been given Reclast(sp)

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/16/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if the area is swollen, bruised and you have severe pain in the toes then it SHOULD be evaluated by visiting the ER or the urgent care center. While the treatment for minor fractures is simply buddy taping the broken toe, which involves taping the broken toe with the toe next to it, it is equally important to rule out major fractures of the toes or displaced fractures of the toes which would require surgery. Also an evaluation would help rule out damage to the tendons and the ligaments in the area which could have developed tears etc.

So in short if the pain is severe and you are unable to support your weight on the foot without causing any pain, then you should visit the ER or urgent care center and at the very least, get a xray done. In the meantime i would advise applying ice on the area for 10-15 mins at a time upto 5 times a day. Also keep the foot elevated as much as possible. Start using OTc anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/