Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have an MRI brain scan Key Findings and I would like a…

Customer Question
I have an MRI...

I have an MRI brain scan Key Findings and I would like a simple explanation of this.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No, I have had an MRI done recently.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
Report attached
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have had a brain mri scan which has showed the above mentioned findings. As a neurologist I read and interpret the brain mri scan films very frequently and I am very familiar with these types of mri findings, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Your brain mri scan shows couple of findings, and none of these findings are indicative of anything serious in nature.

First I will discuss about the finding of “symmetric widening of the subarachnoid space with narrowing of the gyri in relation to the frontal and parietal region in keeping with mild cortical atrophy”

First to explain the various medical terminologies used – subarachnoid space is the space between the coverings of the brain, specifically speaking it is the space between the pia and arachnoid membranes that cover the brain. This space contains CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid)

Widening of the subarachnoid space is due to mild volume loss of the brain (also called as mild atrophy)

The cortex of the brain is the thin layer that forms the outer region of the brain tissue.

The cortex consists of multiple depressions or furrows and these are called as Sulci (singular sulcus)

Gyri (singular form is gurus) is the ridge like area in between these sulci

In the report they are telling there is some narrowing of the gyri (thinning of the gyri) in the cortex area and this indicates there is mild atrophy of the brain (or mild volume loss).

The findings such as widening of the subarachnoid space and narrowing of the gyri are suggestive of mild atrophy of the brain

But please see this type of mild atrophy is not uncommonly seen in the brain mri of normal individuals. So this finding itself is not suspicious for any dementia etc because many normal individuals have this type of mild atrophy and it is not unlikely to cause any neurological issues currently or in the future.

Coming to the other finding; the spots seen in the brain;

Please see these types of brain spots are most often benign in nature

These types of spots seen in the MRI scans of the brain are most often not suggestive of any pathological conditions or anything serious in nature

This type of finding is commonly seen in the mri scan. And majority of people do not have any identifiable underlying cause to explain these spots and these spots are not going to cause any kind of problems currently or in the future

In some people these spots can be due to migraine headache, if you have migraine history this is a possibility, not otherwise

If you are having a history of high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or a history of long term smoking or long term heavy drinking then these spots can be secondary to the above, if you are not having any such issues then these are not applicable in your case

If you have any of the above mentioned medical conditions then these need to be treated aggressively, if there is history of smoking then cessation of smoking is recommended and these measures help in the prevention of developing more spots in the brain.

But if you are not having any of these issues mentioned above then these spots are considered as part of the aging process. And the Fazeks II classification of the grading of these spots indicates these are age related spots rather than anything serious in nature.

And also these types of spots are not due to serious brain conditions such as MS (Multiple Sclerosis), or strokes etc.

Once again I reassure you, the two findings seen in your brain mri scan are not indicative of anything serious in nature and many normal people have these types of spots & mild atrophy and these spots & mild atrophy are not going to cause any kind of problems currently or in the future, so please not to be scared

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss your MRI scan findings further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD