Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a knee replacement in Aug. last year and in Jan. this…

Customer Question
I had a knee...

I had a knee replacement in Aug. last year and in Jan. this year I fell and broke my ankle on the same leg. It is now 10 months since my ankle problem but now my knee is beginning to show a few signs it did not have before. It now knocks every step I take and is sore under the right side of the knee.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

There has been a little bit of swelling and it is very stiff when I have been in bed - it gets worse when I lie with my knee bent.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I know I have been treated for rheumatoid arthritis for twenty two years but I gave up three years ago as I was taking plaquinel and the gp wanted me off this medication.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/16/2017
Neurologist: Dr.Sawhney, Spine surgeon replied 8 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Spine surgeon
I am reviewing your question and would answer it shortly.
Thanks for your question.
I understand that you have been waiting for an answer for a long time.
Unfortunately it seems that there was no qualified expert online who could have answered your question.
I amCustomeran Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I just came online and saw your are question. I am answering it as soon as possible.
The symptoms you are having in your knee may suggest component getting loose.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis have a greater tendency for component loosening after knee replacement and therefore it is imperative that you have your knee examined by your surgeon. He may also order relevant investigations including X rays of the knee and test for inflammatory markers like C reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
You should also consider getting your rheumatoid arthritis treated with newer agents known as biologicals. These agents are different from the disease modifying agents you have been using till now. A rheumatologist would be able to prescribed these for you.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.