Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a hysterectomy after uterine cancer and took a biopsy…

Customer Question
Hello, I had a...

Hello, I had a hysterectomy after uterine cancer and hey took a biopsy of my lymph node. Now i have numbness and tingling in my leg when I sit and stand. Why does that happen and what can I do for it? it is very uncomfortable. Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

NO there is no swelling. If i stand cutting potatoes even going for my evening walk by the time I am almost done it is numb and then tingles while i am sitting watching TV or sitting in the vanpool Van on the way home.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No except for my dad had blood clots in his leg and lungs. I am active so i am not sure what causes it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 8 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Were any investigations done for it?

Were you given radiotherapy or chemotherapy?

Since April of 2016 and has gotten worse. No I didn't have to have Radiotherapy or Chemotherapy. Please answer only if it is @ N/C. I have paid $48.00 and don't want to pay anymore. Thanks Debi
No thank you. I shouldn't have fallen for this and figure to ask a question then not get an answer. Please remove me from your service.
Debi Hurd

Hello Debi,

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Experts only answer the questions. We do not know about the charges. It is done by the site administration.

The numbness and tingling can be due to pinched nerves in back.

This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in back

2) Lumbar spondylosis; bone spurs in the back vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required for the confirmation of the diagnsis;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Is this helpful?

Thank you so much. I will look into this with my family doctor. Thanks for you time. Debi

You are very welcome, Debi.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays / ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by physical therapist. Other thing are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Good supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or over weight, reduce weight for long term benefit.

9) Epidural steroid shots

10) Surgery is usually last resort, when the above conservative measures fail. You can start the following exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed / couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one sets of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

You can consult following specialists (apart from your GP);

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Thank you.

You are most welcome.

A positive rating would be appreciated for my time with you.

My best,