Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Four years before, I had an accident in which my upper left…

Customer Question
Four years before, I...

Four years before, I had an accident in which my upper left lateral incisor start hurting. Two years later, left side of the head above the year day by day with pain in that area also. I went to GP. He prescibed me medicine for three weeks. There was no sign of infection. I am also having shocks when I am deprived of sleep. I am feeling sad at the area of my heart all the time. I have no concentration. I am not able to study for more than 15 minutes. I am very tired all the time. I usually sleep for more than 12 hours without even waking up. I feel numbness and pain in my gum over that teeth ang left side of the head to left side of the necK. I feel numbness If I read anything, lifting or restting my hand on the right side of the head. I also feel numbness in my other body parts often as it was not few years before. I always feel the pain and numbness in my gum over latral incisor teeth which was hurt during the accident and left side of the head. My BP is normal. Should I meet a densit or a nurologist.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

HEADACHE IS EVERYTIME. I HAVE STOMACH ulcer ISSUES ALSO. Nausea occurs only if my stomach is empty or travelling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

WHEN I WAS 8 YEAR OLD i HAD NECK PROBLEMS BUT NO PAIN. I HAVE TO TURN NECK SIDEWIS TO RELIEVE.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/13/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of multiple symptoms as you have described above. You are obviously concerned what could be causing these symptoms, how to treat this, and also what specialist to see for this purpose (whether a neurologist or a dentist etc). As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How old are you?

2) Have you already had any medical tests or investigations done? If yes, kindly provide me with the names & the reports of these medical investigations

3) What are your current treatments (prescription or over the counter medications, supplements, non-medication treatments etc)? And what are the treatments you have already tried other than your current treatments for these symptoms?

4) Is there any excessive stress recently, or any issues with anxiety disorder, depression etc?

5) Are there any already diagnosed medical health conditions such as high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes, low blood sugar, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns you have mentioned above.

Best Regards!

I have no BP or diabetes issues. I have no medical reports. I believe it is related to the accident I had in which I get hurt upper lateral incisor teeth
I am 24 years old and I am currently not using any medications

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Once again I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of various persisting bothersome symptoms as you have described above.

I fully concur with you, the injury secondary to the accident you had sustained itself is a major possibility to explain these persistent & bothersome symptoms - but we need to find out is it all just related to the injury related to the accident or whether there are other possibilities too.

The types of symptoms you have been having in the form of headaches, pain, numbness, tiredness, difficulty with concentration, neck issues, shock like feeling when deprived of sleep, excessive sleeping, and the other symptoms that you have mentioned above themselves are not diagnostic for any particular health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar types of symptoms you are having, and I will provide you below with a list of such conditions. So there could be possibilities other than the accident related injury too.

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause the types of various bothersome & persistent symptoms you have been having;

Vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9/Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 deficiencies)

Electrolyte disturbances/Mineral deficiency

Endocrine disorders such as thyroid gland dysfunctions

Other endocrine abnormalities such as hypoadrenalism

Cervical (neck region) spine issues such as arthritis, or disc problems in the spine

Cervicogenic headaches (neck conditions causing headaches & neck pain)

Tension type headaches

Fibromyalgia syndrome

Myofascial pain syndrome

Inflammatory conditions/autoimmune connective tissue disorders

Chronic infections (Lyme disease - only if risk factors are present)

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

Sleep disorders such as OSA (obstructive Sleep Apnea syndrome)

Narcolepsy (another sleep disorder that causes excessive sleepiness)

Primary Hypersomnia

Heavy metal poisoning etc

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of persistent & bothersome symptoms you are having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain these types of symptoms you have been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case.

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these symptoms you have been having. In this regard please try to see a neurologist, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too such as the following ones;

MRI Scan of the brain

MRI Scan of the spine (Mainly focusing on the cervical spine – which is the spine corresponding to the neck region)

EMG/Nerve conduction test (a nerve & muscle test)

Spinal tap (also called as LP or Lumbar Puncture) for CSF (Cerebrospinal Fluid) analysis

Polysomnography (Sleep studies)

MSLT (Multiple Sleep Latency Test)

Blood tests such as the following ones;

Comprehensive metabolic panel (general medical & metabolic tests)

CPK, Aldolase, LDH (muscle enzyme tests)

Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D (Vitamin deficiency tests)

TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid tests)

ESR, CRP, ANA, dsDNA, Rheumatoid factor, SSA, SSB, serum complement assay etc (autoimmune disorders tests)

Lyme antibodies, RPR (workup for infections)

Heavy metal screening etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required to arrive at the diagnosis and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Please see I am not telling all the above mentioned investigations are required or are applicable in your case. After a thorough examination in the clinic the neurologist will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case. And also if any of the above mentioned investigations have already been done then there is no need to repeat them again, rather the focus needs to be on those investigations that have not already been done.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following symptomatic treatments that can help you with getting relief from these persistent & bothersome symptoms you are tortured with;

A) General measures such as the following;

Adequate fluid intake

Healthy & Nutritious diet

Physical therapy

Massage therapy

Heat or Cold therapy (in the form of hot or cold compress)

Epsom salt compress, or soaking, or bath

Ultrasound therapy

Laser therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation) etc

B) More specific treatments include the following;

Modafinil or Nuvigil to help with tiredness/fatigue and excessive sleepiness – these medications act as stimulants and also they have anti-fatigue properties

Nerve-pain pills such as Amitriptyline – this can help with various symptoms such as headaches, pain, numbness, sad feeling, stress etc

Muscle relaxants such as Tizanidine, or Baclofen – these agents can help with the headaches as well as the neck symptoms

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide you with a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use these above treatments as required. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

In addition to the above, you may also try certain nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the symptoms you are having, and also can assist you with faster recovery.

To summarize once again;

1) Once again I fully concur with you that accident related injury itself can be the culprit causing all these symptoms, however there are many other possibilities too that can cause the type of new symptoms you are having as mentioned earlier above

2) A thorough examination in the clinic by a neurologist, followed by relevant investigations as mentioned above can help in finding out the precise cause for these persistent symptoms and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the symptomatic treatments mentioned above that can help in providing relief from the bothersome symptoms you are tortured with.

4) And also very importantly - please see this type of health situation can be diagnosed and successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, please try to see a neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination as well as the neurological investigations as discussed above, and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results, and in the meantime please consider trying some of the above mentioned treatments to help you with getting relief from these persistent & bothersome symptoms that have been torturing you for long time.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD