Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a lumbar puncture with contrast on 11/9, now I have a…

Customer Question
I had a lumbar puncture...
I had a lumbar puncture with contrast on 11/9, now I have a massive headache worse when sitting up. Is this normal? How is this treated?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/12/2017
Neurologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is known as a post lumbar puncture headache and while the exact mechanism as to why it happens is still unclear, it is thought that it occurs due to the hole left in the dura causing CSF to leak in the sub arachnoid space. It can last up to a week after the lumbar puncture. the headache should resolve if you lie on your back and you can take tylenol, Advil or Aleve, any OTC painkiller that suits you or you have at home for this.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.