Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was told today that I have a tear in one of the discs in…

Customer Question
I was told today that...
I was told today that I have a tear in one of the discs in my neck. Is there anything I can do to help that?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
11/11/2017
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Non surgical treatment options for tear in disc of neck are:

• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs),
  • Cold therapy, heat therapy or both.
  • Oral Steroid Medications
  • ,Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers a tiny electrical current to key points on a nerve pathway,Epidural Steroid Injections.Injections of cortisone can be administered directly in the area of tear to relieve pain.

As of now you need to apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation. Take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available at your pharmacy as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms/pain persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications and steroid shots will then be required accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I have been experiencing some tingling in my legs as well as severe neck pains at times. Could both of these be due to the tear in the disc in the neck?

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

The severe pain in neck is most likely due to tear in the disc in the neck.

The tingling in legs can be due to various causes. Nerve root compression (pinched nerve) can be the most probable cause.

Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings.This occurs because of wear and tear or injury or degeneration of the discs of lower spine.

This needs to be evaluated accordingly.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I did have an MRI and they said the only thing they saw was normal degeneration for my age and the tear in the disc. The space in the column looks normal

The tingling sensation usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.

Other common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.

Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

You need certain blood tests & nerve conduction studies to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I did have all the blood tests done and everything came back normal. So really what is left is nerve conduction study?

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

By these tests exact cause of tingling can be find out & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

My doctor won’t give me a referral to get these things done. I have asked for them in the past. Is there anything I can try at home to help?

Dear customer

Following home treatment is recommended for you:

• Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation.

• Take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available at your pharmacy as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.This will help you greatly in pain reducing the swelling (if any) & relieving the pain.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Is that also something to try to help the tingling or is there anything else?

Yes,this will help you in treating the tingling in legs (applying heat in lower back) and the neck pain (applying heat in neck).

Also take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg as described.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Could the tingling at all be due to anxiety and stress? It doesn’t happen all the time usually first thing in the morning and then at home in the evenings

Yes, it is possible that tingling can be due to stress or anxiety.

But still I advise you to take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg as described & apply heat.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

I am online & is waiting for your reply.

Please do reply.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor