Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Can -term use of Zzzquil eventually cause anxiety? I have

Hello. Can long-term use of...
Hello. Can long-term use of Zzzquil eventually cause anxiety? I have been taking it for 2 years straight, every day. I recently had an extreme panic attack and didn't take zzquil for 3 days. My anxiety decreased in those 3 days. But I took it tonight and almost had a heart attack and had extreme anxiety.
10/21/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I believe i answered your query previously as well however with the new information that you have mentioned in this question, i have some more additional information.

As i previously described the incidence of zzquil causing anxiety is about 1 in 100,000 cases which essentially means that it is a rare side effect but a side effect nonetheless. HOWEVER, CHRONIC long term use of zzzquil can certainly give rise to anxiety, the studies on this specific sub group of the population (who use zzzquil on a chronic basis) are lacking but the studies which have been done on diphenhydramine (the drug present in zzzquil) have shown that chronic use can lead to increased risk of dementia, memory loss, anxiety or even irritability.

So in short, it would be ideal that you should slowly taper off zzzquil and it is likely that your anxiety should improve once you are off teh drug.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you!

You are more than welcome, best of luck!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist