Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I am always light headed. I take lipitor and I was wondering…

Customer Question
I am always light...

I am always light headed. I take lipitor and I was wondering if Lipitor would make me feel dizzy. I do not think clearly either. I am scared to death.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

At least 10 years but it is getting worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My neurologist says I have essential tremor. Does forgetfulness and dizziness go along with essential tremor?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
10/18/2017
Neurologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Just a few questions: What dose of Lipitor are you on? How old are you? Are you taking any other medications?
I take atorvastatin 1 pill per day. I am 77 years old. Yes, I take quinapril 40mg l pill per day, levothyroxin 75 mcg, bystolic 5mgp per day, nexium, prevagen l capsule per day, perservision, 1 capsule, fish oil, 1 capsule
Thank you for that information. Essential tremor is not associated with dizziness or forgetfulness. Lipitor (atorvastatin) does not typically cause dizziness either. If you’ve been having it for 10 years, it’s hard to say if any of your medications are causing the recent worsening dizziness unless any of them are newly started or changed in dosage/amount. Lipitor and other statin drugs have, however, been reported to cause increased forgetfulness and trouble with short term memory. You can talk to your doctor about that as a potential side effect and see if your medication can be changed. I would speak with your neurologist specifically about the dizziness and see if consultation with an ENT (ear nose throat) specialist might be helpful and if any specific tests or imaging might be warranted. Can I answer any other questions?
If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD