Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a thickening in front of my left heel, feels like…

Customer Question
I have a thickening in...
I have a thickening in front of my left heel, feels like extra fat padding. Hurts when running due to pressure, but not during walking. Standing also puts pressure on it, so cant stand for longer than a few minutes, then foot inflames. Plantaar Fasciitis has been ruled out.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
10/6/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 10 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Cycling also causes pain and stinging in heel

Please send a picture.

Is the area tender?

What did your x-ray or other medical imaging show?

Cannot be seen on a picture, felt by a finger. Area is tender when running or standing, less when walking. Imaging shows extra fad padding, but not out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The possibilities of the diagnosis are;

1) Calcaneal bursitis

2) Fat pad syndrome (atrophy, heel bruise)

3) Plantar fascia rupture

4) Plantar fibromatosis; Painful nodule or lump is palpable in the plantar fascia.

5) Calcaneal periostitis

Following investigations if not yet done are recommended;

a) Soft tissue ultrasound

b) MRI

1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

3) Local analgesic ointment /spray

4) Physical therapy

5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.

6) Consideration of steroid shot

7) Shock wave therapy

8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Ultrasound/MRI shows nothing (except minor extra padding). Cortisone has no effect, neither does shockwave. Inserts even seems to worsen symptoms, but have to use them. Chronic issue, 1 year.

There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective.

It is privilege assisting you.

I would like to get it diagnosed before going into experimental treatments. Have been reading about suggested possibilities: 1: not on back of heel, so not relevant. 2: extra padding, not missing. 3: nothing shown on MRI. 4: too large area to be this.have not heard about Calcaneal periostisis: Tell me more, please

Bones have a covering called periosteum.

It gets inflamed ((specially in people who may be athlete or overdo physical activity) and also inflames the surrounding soft tissue.

This is called as periostitis (calcaneum is the heel bone).

Treatment options? - I have already tried long term rest, ice and the gereral RICE.

The diagnosis is done by quantitative scintigraphy.

Shortwave diathermy, phonophoresis, Iontophoresis and laser are the treatment with physical therapy.

I have a sceletal scintigraphy, is this the same

Skeletal Scintigraphy is same and can tell if there is inflammation going on as increased activity around the bone and its covering could be seen.

Apart from the specific diagnosis, more important is steps to treat it and deep electrotherapy mentioned above with physical therapy plays a huge role.

Also acupuncture many times gives dramatic results.

Trans cutaneous electrical stimulation too is very helpful.

Will i make it worse by walking or running? . Cycling causes small stings, is this normal symtoms? What physical therapy will help?

You may need to ask the physical therapist to get the exercises for the intrinsic muscles.

Any activity which is painful should be avoided.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
When I read about Calcaneal periostisis, it seems very similar to Plantaar Fasciitis, but I have no pain in the morning, only after prolonged activity, standing or running. There is no pain touching the area, but it seems like the swelling is pushing against a nerve causing sweeling. The entire foot feels twice as big, but only on the enside, as there is no enlargement of the foot, bruising or miscoloring. Does these symptoms match with Calcaneal periostisis? I have been diagnosed with Posterior Tibial Tendonitis as well, which is why I need orthotics.

Medical diagnosis in the book and in an individual are slightly different and also there are overlapping in the medical conditions in the presentation.

So a rigid mimic of the symptoms should not be tried to found.

Also it is more important to ascertain the guideline of management.

Main aim is to differentiate between joint issue or soft tissue. And in soft tissue to find out tissues involved; fascia, ligaments, tendons, bursa, muscles. Majority of the time, a combination of tissues are involved.

Copy book presentations are rare.

I dont understand that?

There is always difference between presentation in individuals and books.

So reading medical literature and comparing symptoms do not work.

Also more important is line of management.

line of management?

Investigations and treatment.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.