Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Back in July I started having crazy neurological symptoms.

Customer Question
Back in July I...

Back in July I started having crazy neurological symptoms. Started with numbness in my hands and with two days it escalated to stroke symptoms. Went to hospital for three days. They ran two cat scans and three MRI's and found nothing. I was bit by a tick about three weeks before my symptoms started. Small black pin size thing with blood coming out of it. For a month after the hospital visit I went back and fourth between flu symptoms, random pains, nerve pain, and full body weakness to the point of having to walk with a cain for a couple of days. My PCP put me on doxycycline at 200 mg a day. It is not nearly as bad as it was, but I'm still having random nerve pain, wierd burning and crawling sensations on my body. The doxycycline seems to take the edge off the symptoms, but does not cure them. I'm wondering if I need a heavier dose or need to see a specialist or both? Unfortunately my Lyme's test which they drew back in the middle of July turned up negative so they cannot diagnose me with anything. I'm still thinking I need to see some sort of specialist.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Currently I am on 100 mg of Doxycycline in the morning and 100 mg at night. I take Nature's Way Cats Claw (3 capsules in the morning and three at night). Other than that, nothing else. I am allergic to Ambien CR and Gabapentin (medication for nerve pain), they both cause me to have hives

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had no neurological issues before this or anything mimicking this before. First time it showed up and the symptoms came on very quickly.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
10/4/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

bad anxiety symptoms can cause many of your symptoms and make symptoms worse.

bad anxiety symptoms can cause random nerve pains and weakness.

doxycycline 200mg a day is enough to kill lyme disease bacteria in your body.

let me know if you have questions.

do you have other questions?