Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Started with pain in right trap muscle, now pain is gone,

Customer Question
Started with pain in...

Started with pain in right trap muscle, now pain is gone, first 3 fingers in my right hand are tingling, persisted for more than a month, tried physio treatments, no improvements

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I'm in good health, active, teaching dancing, symptoms worsen after computer work, suspect pinch nerve.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have on and off brief vertigo after a whiplash from a car accident around 25 years ago. Occasional feeling the world is spinning when I sit up from the bed too quickly.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
10/4/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 10 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This is most likely due to the pinched nerves in the neck which are giving yoy tingling in right hand fingers. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

The dizziness also can be explained on the basis of what we term as cervical spondylosis. This predisposes to lightheadedness or vertigo which can originate from a condition called as cervicogenic vertigo. This is because of the degenerative changes in the cervical spine and hardening of the carotid arteries (neck vessels which supply blood to brain). Read about the cervicogenic vertigo;

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/13/02/03.html

You should consult either a physical therapist or MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The would teach you specific exercises for neck and shoulder girdle and may consider traction to the neck

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl