Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was relaxing in the sun on a very hot day, had been

Customer Question
working around the house, had...
I was relaxing in the sun on a very hot day, had been working around the house, had very little water. My hands began to tingle excessively and after i came to my feet, I stumbled into my house and passed out. Could this have been heat stroke exacerbated by dehydration?!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How long ago did this happen?

6 days ago. Monday afternoon, 9/25.
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. I see you have asked for a new professional and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned whether the episode you sustained recently could be from heat stroke. As a neurologist I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see, while this episode appears related to the heat you were exposed but this does not appear heat stroke

Heat stroke is extremely severe form of reaction to heat and it will present with lot more manifestations including severe confusion, headache, vomiting, seizures etc

While you had suffered from tingling, stumbling, and passing out but if it were heat stroke then the symptoms are expected to present with other symptoms too that are mentioned above, and the symptoms are expected to persist for more time and patients most often require care in the hospital too to help with cooling down the temperature and intravenous fluids etc

But I see while you did pass out but you appear to have recovered at your house itself, and it did not appear to me you had to call the 911, required hospitalization, iv fluids, rapid cooling of temperature in a hospital setting etc so this does not appear heat stroke

It appears certainly a type of reaction to heat, staying under hot sun, not adequately getting hydrated, physical activities during hot day etc, and these must have precipitated these symptoms including the fainting but by applying strict definition criteria this does not appear heat stroke. These symptoms were secondary to dehydration, but without heat stroke

In the future please try to take proper precautions during hot days, avoid being under the hot sun for prolonged periods, try to stay under some shade, and also try to consume plenty of fluids and electrolytes too, and this can help in preventing these episodes happening again in the future.

Once again I reassure you, it was not a heat stroke, however it was a relatively minor form of reaction to heat & dehydration, and please try to take precautions in the future so that this will not occur again, also more severe forms such as heat stroke etc will not occur in the future.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. David

are you asking for another expert to help you

yes, this sounds like dehyration and heat causing you to pass out

you should drink more water and urinate more frequently

dehydration is quite dangerous

are you able to drink more water?