Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I get stabbing pains in both thumbs. It's like being stabbed…

Customer Question
I get stabbing pains...

I get stabbing pains in both thumbs. It's like being stabbed with a hot ice pick.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

A couple of years and it just keeps getting worse. I take a lot of Tylenol and Alive for pain. Both heat and cold feels good but doesn't help once removed.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/28/2017
Neurologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

If you have had this a couple of years, what exam have you had? What diagnosis? What treatment?

I'm told it's arthritis and I've had some physical therapy but the pain just keeps getting worse. I don't even have to be doing anything and out of nowhere comes the pain. Thumb joints are not swolen or mishapen and pain seems to be localized to the thumb pad and thumb/wrist joints, except when I get the shhoting pains. They travel from the thumb base up thru the thumb and last for several seconds to a minute or two at a time. Thumb pads are always very painful. It's difficult to open jars and do lots of thing that require small movement dexterity. I also have a lot of pain at night. I've tried taking both Celebrex and Dyclofinek but neither gives me much relief. I feel like I am taking an awful lot of medications (the 2 mentioned plus tylenol and Alieve) to control the pain. I'm just wondering if anything else could be causing such pain? I'm 67 years old and otherwise very healthy. (I think)

What type of doctor told you this?

Based on what type of imaging test?