Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a hiatal hernia and a small umbilical hernia. I have…

Customer Question
Hello - i have a...
Hello - i have a hiatal hernia and a small umbilical hernia. I have yet to get a diagnosis. They diagnosed me with moderate sleep apnea and severe lung obstruction. I live in Canada. I went to a dr in the USA who said that my lungs were fine and he thought my symptoms were more along the lines of ms or ALS.I had an Emg done in Canada and thebneuro said I had a disconnect between my brain and spinal cord. However in his results he put inconclusive bc I can still walk which I am pretty much bedridden most of the day and only can walk bc I get dry needled by my Physio every month to release the muscle spasticity. I have problems swallowing and often feel a horrendous twisting all the way down my esophagus and in my stomach when I swallow and I always have food leg in my mouth after a swallow in my gums and cheeks. What do u think could be causing this? Do you think my hernia had grown? Do u think it is strangled? Do you think I may have a volvolus? Sometimes I want to add that I have blood coming out when I have a bowel movement and my iron levels are low. I had a colonoscopy which was normal but still suffer from intermittent pencil stools
I have very little appetite
I eat one high fat meal a day and drink ensure
I have a terrible pain in my centre of my chest under my ribs and at one point my diaphragm felt like it went from up To down (like this "U")
It feels like the diaphragm and stomach are strangled
I also have an umbilical hernia and sleep apnea which I feel is due to my bulbar muscles being spastic as I had some terrible spasms in them and the back of my nose.I have a few things concerning me
1) Do you think I may have ALS? I had a while when I couldn't lift my arms and it is getting harder and harder to talk without pressing on my neck. My physical therapist who needles me said my core muscles were fibrotic
2) do you think I may have a gastric volvolus or one in my colon?
3). Do u think the hernia may be strangled?
What do you recommend
Please adviseThank you
19 Aug
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Neurology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please call me with 1.5hrs bc I will go to bed. You may call again after 12pm mountain time
Please advise of any additional cost to call
Thank you
9/28/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I just woke up
Please call me when you have time between 12pm and 3am mountain time
Thank you

I can't provide a call

do you want to continue here?

pls - just pls refund the money for a ph call
I also want to add that I have a very hard time talking without pressing on my neck or chin now
Did you have an MRI?
I did of my spine but the last one of my brain was in 2007 when I had a selective amygdalo-hippocampectomy for epilepsy on the right side. I am seizure free since. The spine had a few herniated discs a few yrs back but I don't know the results of the most recent one a few weeks back yet.
Here are some pics of my swallow test and my tongue atrophy
Is your sleep apnea being treated?
I tried to wear the mask but I couldn't bc every time I would put it on I would feel like I was choking to death and the appliance caused me severe neck pain
So no I am not treating it as I find it very difficult
An ent said I look like I have a twisted pharynx (which would be due to my pharyngeal muscles being spastic on one side)
I have a terrible pulling from the roof of my mouth (I think my palate) all the way down my throat right now

they make nose prongs you can wear

I have the nose prongs and have tried both kinds of masks
I really just want answers to all my original questions about the ALS and volvolus
AND one more question
---> Can you view my past questions (incl my deleted questions)?

yes, I can

what did you want to know?

Do you think my hernia had grown? Do u think it is strangled? Do you think I may have a volvolus?
Do you think this could be ALS?And now that I know that the Drs on this site can view past questions I prob won't use it again bc it creates a bias.

1)no I don't think it grew

2)no I don't think it is strangled

3)no on volvus

4) I doubt ALS

Do u have any idea what I may have?

I'm not sure

I'm sorry

I think sleep apnea is critical here

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor