Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

About 36 hours ago, I started to feel very dizzy and

Customer Question
Hi! About 36 hours...

Hi! About 36 hours ago, I started to feel very dizzy and lightheaded and almost fainted. I was able to get home and since this time last night, I've been resting and drinking lots of fluids. The fainting episode happened after eating a very large meal for lunch that day. I had a lot of nausea but did not vomit or have diarrhea. I've been able to go to the bathroom twice and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. My nausea has gone away but I am still a bit lightheaded and have heart palpitations.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

No diseases. They are healthy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
I should clarify that the initial symptoms were intense nausea
My current worries are the heart palpitations
I had palpitations yesterday but haven't had any racing heart / chest pains until an hour ago while watching an exciting tv show
I've been able to eat today despite a low appetite
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about the health symptoms you have mentioned above. I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I can fully understand your concerns, this started somewhat suddenly and presented with intense symptoms in the form of severe nausea, lightheaded feeling to the extent there was near fainting, and subsequently you have had other symptoms including palpitations, chest pain, racing heart etc too, so you are wondering whether all these could be secondary to some serious underlying health condition

But please see these types of clinical presentation most often are due to some benign treatable/curable condition rather anything serious in nature, although there is chest pain, palpitation etc but these symptoms do not automatically point towards heart diseases

There is a condition called as postpradinal hypotension, this is a drop in blood pressure that occurs after the meals, especially after large meals, so this is a possibility. If this happens again and again then this needs further evaluation including investigations etc, but if this does not recur again then there is no need to be concerned of this

This also secondary to gastrointestinal issues, for example gastritis etc can cause these symptoms

I am not sure whether there was any issue with the hygiene of the food or not, if such issues exist then this could be related to the quality of food too

I am not telling all these above mentioned possibilities are applicable in your case, I am just mentioning the various possibilities that can cause these types of symptoms.

I see you were having some palpitations too, but these types of palpitations are known to occur after these types of stressful episodes. Since this is something new to you, and also you have had intense symptoms so you must be under lot of stress and this can cause palpitations. The stress can cause the chest pain and racing of heart feeling too.

While this does not appear anything serious in nature but since this type of episode is new to you so it is better this gets further evaluated and investigated. A thorough examination by your doctors followed by certain investigations can help us to find out whether there is any identifiable cause for your symptoms, if any such cause is identified then it will be treated appropriately.

In the meantime please try to take adequate rest and continue consuming adequate fluids.

Once again I reassure you, although you have had some what sudden onset of symptoms which were intense in nature, and subsequently you have also had symptoms like palpitations, racing feeling of the heart, chest pain etc, but these do not automatically point towards the possibility of anything serious, however considering this is something new so this requires a thorough clinical evaluation, examination and certain relevant investigations to look for any underlying condition causing these symptoms and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results, but this could very well be a benign condition too, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)