Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

3 weeks ago I was running to answer the phone in my house…

Customer Question
3 weeks ago I...

3 weeks ago I was running to answer the phone in my house when all of a sudden it felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat mid calf on my left leg. I could barely walk for almost 5 days but just assumed I strained my hamstring. I played sports when I was younger and had lots of hamstring injuries but now I am thinking that I tore it because the pain, although manageable is still pretty strong. Now over the last 3 days I have severe swelling in my left ankle up to my mid calf area. No pins and needles. No significant change in color or temp. No pitting edema. Just really swollen after short periods of sitting or standing. When I elevate my foot and leg the swelling subsides but never back to normal. I also have a great deal of pain with plantar flexion and moderate discomfort with dorsiflexion.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

You

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had hodgkins 25 years ago and have suffered numerous sports injuries in my life.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/27/2017
Neurologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Ham string injury would not cause calf pain.

The swelling is disturbing.

A torn calf muscle is possible.

Blood clot can be forming.

You have waited way to long for evaluation at this point.

Go to urgent care, and then do the follow up they tell you.

OR the ER.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed