Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I get restless leg synd. really bad. Last night I couldn't…

Customer Question
I get restless leg...

I get restless leg synd. really bad. Last night I couldn't sit - had to keep walking around and as soon as I would sit it would start again. It 's never been this bad before. Was driving me crazy. Is there any way I can get rid of it.?

Doctor's Assistant: What confuses you?

I just don't know what to do as I have to keep walking and can't watch tv or sit on the computer for any longer than a couple of minutes. I'm 70 years of age have had one knee replacement which didn't work - my other knee is worn out but I won't have another replacement and I'm quite a large lady - so that's my history.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

The symptoms ease if I stand and If I go to bed and put a pillow under my knees It eases. My legs swell if I have them down all day but aren't too bad if I can put them up.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have type 2 diabetes - have austioauthritis - have austioperosis - get syaticia in the back - have high blood pressure and high cholestoral all kept in check with medication by my GP.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/27/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Unfortunately you cant get rid of restless legs syndrome HOWEVER you can certainly control the symptoms effectively with various treatments which can allow you to get a good nights rest. You may need a combination of treatments which can help reduce or eliminate the symptoms. The options that you have before you are the following,

Lifestyle changes. Certain lifestyle changes and activities may provide some relief in persons with mild to moderate symptoms of RLS. These steps include avoiding or decreasing the use of alcohol and tobacco, changing or maintaining a regular sleep pattern, a program of moderate exercise, and massaging the legs, taking a warm bath, or using a heating pad or ice pack.

Iron. For individuals with low or low-normal blood tests called ferritin and transferrin saturation, a trial of iron supplements is recommended as the first treatment. Iron supplements are available over-the-counter.

Anti-seizure drugs. Anti-seizure drugs are becoming the first-line prescription drugs for those with RLS. The FDA has approved gabapentin enacarbil for the treatment of moderate to severe RLS, This drug appears to be as effective as dopaminergic treatment (discussed below) and, at least to date, there have been no reports of problems with a progressive worsening of symptoms due to medication.

Dopaminergic agents. These drugs, which increase dopamine effect, are largely used to treat Parkinson's disease. They have been shown to reduce symptoms of RLS when they are taken at nighttime. The FDA has approved ropinirole, pramipexole, and rotigotine to treat moderate to severe RLS.

Benzodiazepines. These drugs can help individuals obtain a more restful sleep. However, even if taken only at bedtime they can sometimes cause daytime sleepiness, reduce energy, and affect concentration.

I would suggest that you have your doctor look into these possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/