Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Have dermatomyositists of similar symptoms to light stroke.

Customer Question
Please have dermatomyositists of...

Please have dermatomyositists of similar symptoms to light stroke. dr. said have had light stroke didn't know when. now 8 symtoms out of 10 I have regarding stroke. one is bad muscle twitching just started recently. myositis I have had 12 years. can't handle twitching. please help thank you

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw and was tested on progress of dermatomyositis he said I failed all my tests but one. My only option left was Methotrexit. I didn't want to take this all these years. at this time was not having muscle twitching. he is neurologist. so I left. Heart Dr. said I had light stroke did not have muscle twitching than but, face was lightly drooped on left side. My medications are Sotalol 120 MG 2 X day. Tramadol 1 ea. 100MG, take 2 ea 3 x day. thank you I have Ventricular Tycardia. that's why sotolol. Also Have pace maker. I am 70Yrs.old and very scared. Don't know what to do . Which Dr. to see about this muscle twitching. Just got out of emergency visit to hospital. Dr. said can't detect light stroke on ct scan. They said symptoms were like possible light stroke. But these symptoms were stared before this emergency. Also my speech is slow and can't say sometimes proper words. Looked up Altyztheimers symtoms. That was only one I had. Again 8 out of 10 for a stroke. Thank You

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

Mayo Clinic diagnosed me with Dermato myositis 12 years ago. I have specific rash off and on to prove I have what they said was a rare musle disease. Funny Ha Ha one wrinkle longer by nose on the left side. Again left eye droop a little. Myositis causes rash around eyes and swelling. Muscle twitching started about 2 months ago just off and on. Never new when light stroke occurred because Myositis causes very weak limbs.Lots of Pain that,s why pain medication. My tolerance to pain I admit is pretty low. on basis of 1 to 10 without my pain medication is a good 10. I was on OxyContin 40 Mg every 4 hrs. because of perforated bowel damage in***** . didn't find for 2 months. So pain from Myositis was taking care of. I cold turkey and traded OxyContin for Tramadol. Dealing with light stroke diagnosis only couple of months. Current condition is Very weak in muscles, have involuntary movement, lots of pain everything below my neck, but with pain med.I can handle it. The muscle twitching can,t handle so can,t sleep at night. have also bad balance. I am s0 sorry to complain. I know there are so many people worse off, but it is so nice to talk to you about this. I need help. Can't go to therapy and hardly ever leave house because of bowel problems I have for years. Again what Dr. would I see for muscle twitching since it is also a symptom for MS. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Surgeries in past were couple of Histerectomys, one partial..Than came couple of Laporoscopy One that perforated the bowel was in early 1999. I know Dr did this by accident, but he was young and thought I had a stomach infection. He should have not guessed but took test. Did have reconstruction of bowel damage. It helped a little but still have some kind of permanent damage. Have bowel problems often. not diarrhea, but just pain and bowel involuntary release. I never know when I will have bowel trouble so again I don,t go any where but to Dr. If I don,t eat anything or drink to start my system, I am able to make my Dr. appointments. I think I'm pretty good for an old lady. God Keep You. Again thank you. Oh yeah!! have one more medical thing. Drives me crazy. Have had ringing in my ears, but not off and on. It stays there constantly high pitched sound with with a boom boom type rythem. and if I I don't know how to explain this? It is like tighten on your ears and it sounds like wind blowing. Never goes away. I always heard on TV lots of people have ringing in their ears. Is Mine the same as theirs. My Honey of 49 years has ringing, but he says it comes and goes. Mine doesn't change.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/26/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 10 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health situation. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Once again I am very sorry to hear about your health situation and sufferings

I see you are having dermatomyositis, and it sounded you are also now suspecting stroke condition

Since you are already having dermatomyositis, which causes muscle weakness, so it is not always easy to diagnose stroke clinically, and you need imaging studies of the brain to diagnose stroke. I see you had a cat scan of the brain but did not show any stroke. But cat scan can easily miss stroke, an mri scan of the brain is the best test to look for strokes. Have you had an mri scan of the brain? If mri scan of the brain has not already been done and if you are having no contraindications to undergo the mri scan then please ask your doctors to arrange for mri scan because this is better test than cat scan to look for strokes

Also once stroke is suspected you will need additional stroke related investigations including the following;

Carotid ultrasound to check for any blockage of blood flow through the carotid arteries supplying the brain

MRA (MR Angiogram) is another test that can help in checking the blood flow through the carotid arteries to the brain, and this test can also check the blood flow through other arteries in the neck such as vertebral arteries, and this test can also check the blood follow inside the brain too – so this can check for blockage of arteries in the neck as well as within the brain too

EKG/Holter- heart tests to look for heart causes for stroke

Echocardiogram – another heart test to look for heart causes for stroke

You also need blood tests to check for cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar etc, because if these are elevated in the blood this also could cause stroke

If the above stroke related investigations have not been done then you need all these above done to confirm the diagnosis of stroke and also to find out the cause for the stroke and then treated appropriately

And you have expressed your concerns about the possibility of having MS, the mri scan of the brain can help in ruling out MS too. Sometimes additional tests like a spinal tap (also called LP or Lumbar puncture) for CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) analysis, and tests like Evoked potential study etc too may be necessary to rule in or rule out MS

For the muscle twitching you may try one of the muscle relaxants like Tizanidine or Baclofen, and this can be combined with one of the nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Pregabalin to help with the pain too

And the medical specialist that commonly involves in diagnosing and managing neurological conditions like MS, Stroke, muscle twitching etc is a neurologist, if you already have a neurologist then please try to follow up with them and discuss the above points, if you are not happy with the current neurologist then you may please try to see another neurologist because you certainly need neurological investigations and treatments - so seeing a neurologist is certainly important now.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss your health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD