Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Researching the condition were I have been smelling exhaust…

Customer Question
Researching the condition were...

Researching the condition were I have been smelling exhaust fumes everywhere I go, so it is me and not the environment.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No, just the smell of a car running, everywhere and at all hours

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have sinus problems , infections in the past year(s) but not in the past year and a half.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

At least a year, no breathing problems

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
response ?
9/26/2017
Neurologist: vakularen, Other replied 8 months ago
vakularen
vakularen, Other

Hello,I am Dr.Aren and I will help with your query.Such phantom smells or Phantosmia usually occur as secondary to a neurological problem.This may be secondary to neurological problems like Alzeheimer's Disease,stroke ,Epilepsy,Parkinson's disease and malignancy of the brain. Local nasal problems like nasal infections,nasal polyps,exposure to certain chemicals,migraine with olfactory aura,smoking,dental problems and radiation therapy of the head and neck may also give rise to such olfactory hallucinations.You will need to seek the opinion of an ENT surgeon as also a good neurologist to diagnose and manage the problem.

vakularen
vakularen
vakularen, Other